Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I need help getting back on track

sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

I was doing so well, and for the last month, I’ve been binging on horrible foods, including those that I am allergic to. Every day, I tell myself that it is a new day, and it is time for me to start fresh. Well, all my fresh starts have turned into binge eating, on stuff that is so bad. Cheese, beans, corn, rice cakes, I even ate 4 oreos yesterday, along with a bagel. I can NOT EAT GLUTEN!! I’m struggling with talking myself out of doing what is destroying my body. I’ve been under a lot of stress lately, and I need nothing more, than to get myself on track to feel better. My rash that had disappeared is back, and it usually takes me a good month or two to get rid of it after being squeaky clean, free of gluten. Yesterday my dh told me I looked very pale again too. :-(

Can anyone give some good advice on how to kick this? I usually have some decent self control, but right now it is completely SHOT. I should WANT this so bad right now. I do this diet for health reasons, and the biggest health issue is my dermatitis herpetiformis. It gets bad enough, that I won’t even wear tank tops, or short sleeved shirts, no shorts. My body itches so bad, and half the time, I can’t fall asleep due to the intense itching. My skin was GLOWING, and the scars fading, and the rash gone. I always told my dh that I would MUCH rather be really over weight than to have this rash on my body. I’m more insecure of this rash than anything else. This way of eating MAKES THIS GO AWAY! Why am I sabotaging myself then? I need some help, and inspiration. I noticed one of my issues stems from not eating breakfast lately. My kids keep me so busy in the AM, and I forget to eat. Before raw, I had to eat asap, or my blood sugar would get too low. So, by then, I am so hungry, I will eat anything. (well, except for meat) I don’t feel like eating in the am since going raw. Maybe I need to force myself to take something?? Help PLEASE!!

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Poor girl! I know, stress triggers weird cravings, very hard to control for some of us!! I find that getting back on track after being naughty(REALLY naughty) is easier when I fill up on apples, apples, avocado and lettuce salads, more apple, more salad and greens. I do without nuts and oils for a couple of days and just fill up on apples, lettuce and avocados.

Some people swear by juicing or green smoothies heavy on the greens for things like getting back on the wagon. How are you doing with your citrus? Grapefruit juice with freshly grated ginger is a very healthy tonic to start a day with, especially if you’re feeling like crap. Can you get rid of the grain products in your house until you’re over this hump? If you’re allergic and are also prone to falling off the wagon, I think you should get that stuff right out of the house. I’m one of those people that doesn’t see any reason for the rest of family to insist on bad foods being in the house just because they like them, when there is a person who really needs that food to be gone.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I made popcorn for my son today, and even though I have eaten it twice in the last couple of weeks and got sick/bloated/gassy both times, I still almost ate a bunch of popcorn! Fortunately, I talked about it instead of just diving in. I asked my mom, “Why do I want to eat popcorn even though I know it makes me sick?” And she said “Because it smells good, and you like the taste of it.” Duh! But somehow, just having her say that made me not feel so bad about craving it, and talking to her about my frustration with it gave me more strength to resist it. I also realized I had been awake for 4 hours & hadn’t eaten anything yet, so I quickly ate my own breakfast instead, and I was fine with not eating the popcorn. I have been putting off making something else my son has been wanting, because I know it’s something I would be better off without, but I would likely be tempted to eat it.

In the morning, if I don’t feel hungry, I drink at least one full glass of water, and that at least gives me something I need and usually hunger signals are more clear when I’m well hydrated.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

when i first stopped eating gluten i had to have the family also get rid of gluten. put it in a locked box if they must. do not even approach that section of the grocery store, or have someone come with you to help you stay away from it. keep lots of raw bars around to snack on. i have had to resort to this lately as i am starved and overworked so I have to have something quick to grab like a raw revolution bar or something. yes eat in the morning. make a quick smoothie the night before if you have to. some walnuts and raisins. anything to keep you away from wheat.

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

I would immediately incorporate a green smoothie or two into your daily diet. Your body is looking for something. So, get the green going

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

sorry but i have to disagree with suzical. if you are celiac or DH you have to stop eating gluten because there can be long-term life-threatening side effects. for me it was severe depression. for others I have met it was malnutrition, osteoporosis leading to fractures, etc. PLEASE take care of yourself and #1 do not eat gluten. add the green smoothies. then take it from there. see a nutritionist if you are stuck on what to do.

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

Bitt is right. Sorry about that – what I meant was, if you happen to fall back, don’t beat yourself up about it – just keep trying. I am a firm believer in all things green smoothie – I think those will really help you saraw.

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

Thanks you guys. As of June 2, I’ve stayed 100%. I’m journaling, and I took your advice with making the smoothie the night before. I wish I could take all temptation out of my house as far as gluten. My husband eats it. If I don’t buy it, he will pay 3 times what I pay for food for his lunches. I’d love more than anything to have the whole family raw. I’m working on the kids right now. They ate about 80% raw yesterday, and loved the salad I made, and the fact that they could eat more than one orange if they wanted it. The kids love nuts.

• Sara – congratulations for getting back on track, it is very difficult. (I have been having trouble staying raw too.) I cannot eat gluten or dairy as well. I understand the temptation, believe me :) I agree that if you can get all gluten out of the house even for the short term that helps. Maybe see if your husband wouldn’t mind going on a GF diet just for a short stint? We women are so good about nurturing everyone else, we have to step back and learn to nurture ourselves too.

I’m not sure if this will help, but for me each time I want, say a croissant, I think about how much I want it and then think just as hard about how I know I’ll feel after it. If I focus on how bad I know I will feel afterwards, that helps. I still want the problem food but I know how much I will hurt and try to eat something that I love like a guava. That way I still feel like I’m giving in to a craving but in a healthy way.

I sympathize with the trials of cutting out gluten in our gluten-ladened, grab-and-go society. Keep remembering how great you feel raw and GF and take one day at a time. (I say, trying to take my own advice ;) ) Be gentle with yourself, you deserve it! :)

Blessings.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

my husband does not eat gluten in the house, but that is because when i met him i had a completely gluten-free kitchen and i wanted it to stay that way. i have lived with people who do eat gluten and we had separate toasters and they kept their bread in a tin contained. maybe he can take his bread and sandwich stuff to work and make it there? then eat gluten-free at home? there are so many more gluten-free products out there nowadays such as rice pasta, etc that there is no reason he can’t try for your health.