Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Cacao Nibs

I just received my first bag of raw cacao nibs and don’t know what to make of them. To me, they basically taste like baking chocolate and have a seed-like feel when I chew them. Is this normal? I’m wondering because they were shipped from the states (got them from sunfood) all the way to Belgium where I live, so I don’t know if they’ve gone ‘off’ in transit or not. Are my cacao nibs normal????

Comments

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Yep, that’s cacao. I never have seen what the big deal is. I have never been impressed by cacao’s flavor or effects. But it’s different and rare, so it must be “special”. To me it’s No Big Deal.

Lovebows, Chris

• Girlfridae1Girlfridae1 Raw Newbie

Thanks Chris for clearing up my question. Yeah, I thought they’d be this wonderful ‘magical’ kind of wonder-snack but they just taste like bitter chocolate. Good thing I like bitter chocolate:)

Have a nice week!

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I find cacao nibs too hard to digest in that form. I like to blend the nibs into smoothies or make chocolate. For a quick treat, I used to put the nibs into a date and roll the date in coconut. Lovely.

• JDJD

Too funny. When I bought my first bag of nibs I thought they were going to be wonderful…boy was I wrong. They taste like dirt. I’d be willing to try the powder.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

use a coffee grinder to grind the nibs into powder. run them through the grinder twice to make a fine powder. i use them for almond milk banana chocolate smoothies.

• Girlfridae1Girlfridae1 Raw Newbie

Sweetpea and Winona thanks for the usage tip and Pundee—yeah, I thought they’d be dessert-like or something. Oh well, strangely enough I’ve left the bad on the kitchen countertop and just snack on them….