Date Paste

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I”m trying to cut back on agave/ maple and use only dates. I hear people substitute date paste.. how exactly do you make it ratio wise and do you keep it in your fridge or do you make it for each recipe?

Comments

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

You make it in a food processor and you can keep it in your fridge. I read that it keeps for up to a week, but I’d eat it way before then :D

• How funny. I am also trying to get my family to cut back on our use of agave. I was not aware that our use of agave was effecting the bat population the way it is. Agave is nectar bats main source of food.

We have always used dates and/or agave as a sweetner, but recently been resonating to more dates as a sweetner.

I found a couple of recipes for “Date Syrup”, but have not tried them out yet.

Recipe – (This was posted on vegsorce.com by silverfire. I have added the vanilla and cinnamon to it.)

1 cup pitted Medjool dates

1 cup water (approximately)

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Chop up dates and soak them in just enough water to cover the top of the dates. Soak overnight.

After soaking, mash the soaked dates with a fork till they are as mushed as possible.

Place the sloppy mashed date pulp into a straining bag of sorts and squeeze all of the syrup out.

Blend in the vanilla and cinnamon.

Note Depending on how much water you have put in, it will come out like a syrup. If more water was added, like a sugar water. If you’d like a thicker syrup, you can add less water to the initial soaking period and stir dates occasionally, or finely blend some of the soaked strained pulp with some water and add that.

I have seen where some people just blend the water and dates for date syrup. Others use dates and water with a pinch of sea salt.