Make Your Own Dehydrator

Well, I don’t really know how, but I’m hoping you good people would be able to help me out!

The sun is shining, and I have a balcony; isn’t there anyway that I can use the sun’s heat to dehydrate? Can anyone think of anything?

Comments

• Where do you live? If you live where it’s 105+ degrees well then what the heck, give it a try!! Let me know how it works! :) However, you can use the lowest setting on your oven most run around 100 degrees and it wont heat up the kitchen.

• I used to dehydrate veggies on a hot windowsill with a stainless steel tray set in the direct sunlight, I would turn the pieces every day, in about three days they would be pretty well dried down. But here in Calif, we can have fresh veggies most of the year, so I found it easier to eat fresh. You might want to put a clear cover over, that will keep insects away, make sure you get good airflow. I’ve seen designs using screen shelves, with a silvered backdrop, a clear front facing the sun, a sreeneed top and bottom to encourage high airflow. You take the shelves at the top and rotate to the bottom from time to time.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I googled “how to make a solar dehydrator” and this came up, although so did many others: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/2…

• Thanks all!