Help me decide on a juicer!

Hi all I have been wanting to add waayyy more juice into our diet, but am totally confused by all the juicer options out there. We currently own a Jack Lalane, and it seems to do an ok job of juicing just about anything we put in it. We juice greens, soft fruits, hard veggies, even sweet potatoes. It is fast, but clean-up is kind of a pain. We have so much info on juicers and it seems Jack’s juicer is not the best as to greens and quality of juice. I have looked at the demo video with Juliano for the champion juicer, and to be quite honest, it looks slooowwww, and looks a little tricky and even flimsy to me. I have read many times that this type of juicer (titruating) produces the least oxidized, freshest quality, but I dont want to spend 20 minutes to get a glass or two. It looks like there is a lot of cutting of fruits and veggies as well to fit down the small feed tube and at a price of around $400, I dont want to have juicy regret.Any wisdom/experience/advice would be so appreciated. By the way, just want to let everyone involved and active on this site what a great place this is and how great all of you all are. It seems rudeness, self-centerdness, and indifference are the common threads of most people I encounter nowadays in life. This site has really opened my eyes to the fact that there still are wonderfull, friendly,altruistic, intelligent people in the world who are great to talk to, listen to and learn from. It has been a welcome haven.-Thank you all!

Comments

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

I have a commercial champion juicer: all I can do is tell you about this one. It does require chopping and peeling of most fruits and veggies…but I think most of them do (ie when making a lemonade where you want to remove the skin and pith would be the same for them all). Cleanup isn’t too bad. It takes me just as long to clean my juicer as I do my food processor. As far as the juice quality, it does come out foamy and very slightly grainy. The pulp comes out partially wet (so not ALL juice is being extracted). It does not do wheatgrass. When making nut butter it DOES heat the nuts (not good). When making ice cream with bananas it does a great job but usually half to one full banana is stuck in the machine.

I heard better things about the green star and wish I would have gotten that one but I don’t have the $$$ to…so for now I am happy with my Champion.

BTW - I did have an issue with my first Champion and the parts “sticking” (too hard to assemble and take apart) and called the company and they replaced it no problems. It took a month to get my new one but the fact that they replaced it was good service IMO.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I’ve owned a centrigal juicer and I wasn’t very happy with the results. Much like what Aziah has described. I now own a solostar (auger type) and I like it very much. Very flexible and easy to clean up. It’s probably one of my most used appliances in the kitchen! My suggestion would be to focus on an auger type juicer as they are more efficient and flexible.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I had a Champion and second what Aziah says.

I tried juice from a friend’s green star and I swear it tasted of plastic. Many of the parts are plastic. It was also a pain to clean up and use.

A few years ago, I picked up an old Norwalk juicer at a garage sale and tried that. Man, was that a beeatch to use and clean up! The juice was the best I ever tasted but it was so not worth the bother. I sold it.

I use my K-Tech blender to make juice, and it’s the closest thing to the Norwalk I’ve tried. I put the veggies etc. in the carafe with a little water, blend, and then strain through a nut milk bag. The pulp is much drier than it ever was with the Champion, so I’m getting more of the juice. And the juice is sweet and full and silky.

Here’s a video of making juice with your high powered blender: http://tinyurl.com/4l34z2