Raw Carob Oat Cake - Please help!

Please – does ANYONE have a recipe for a cakey textured cake that would be carob oat cake? This restaurant in Chicago, Karyn’s raw, has the BEST carob oat cake and I cant find a recipe for the life of me. It’s a really dense cake where you can see the oats clearly in it. Does anyone have a receipe – or is just so good at creating raw foods could possible craft a recipe for me to try?

The cake there is not wet or gooy at all. It’s pretty dry/desnse. The ingredients on the menu say it contains this:

Carob Cake Made of carob powder, dates, oats & honey

Would this be DEHYDRATED, or just refridgerated or frozen to set?

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I’m willing to take the challenge, but not having tried it, it might be way off! Were they rolled oats or whole oats? Or were they chopped up so you can’t tell?

• Hi! Thank yoU! i dont even care if it doesnt turn out – i just need a baseline to start with! :)

The oats you could SEE - most definitely. I AM NOT SURE IF THEY WERE ROLLED OR WHOLE groats? I am goign to try to find a picture of the cake online, i know i stubled across a website where someone had posted pics from the food at her restaurant. THANK YOU!! :)

• Hi, I found the site – unfortunately, there are many pictures of other delicious things, But not specifically this cake. The top right picture

I’ll let you know what I come up with – were the oats rolled, like oatmeal, then?

• I have been thinking about the answer to that – and i am not sure. I would say they were. Or they could have been goats ground up a little bit? see, this is when i know nothing about raw foods. I would just say – you can definitely see them, they are smaller pieces of oats – so probably ground up or rolled oats. Im sorry for the vague answer.

• The picture i put in my profile is a picture of the oat cake im trying to replicate. it is kinda small to see – but maybe you can see that it has tons of oats. I asked the restaurant and they claim there are no nuts.

• The picture i put in my profile is a picture of the oat cake im trying to replicate. it is kinda small to see – but maybe you can see that it has tons of oats. I asked the restaurant and they claim there are no nuts.

I attempted a carrot cake last night – it did NOT turn out good. I cant seem to get anythign to turn out great.

Wow – frosting? I hadn’t figured on that…I’ll do my best – might not get to it today, but I’ll keep you posted. :)

• It’s ok – we can forget the frosting! it is good that is for sure – but im more interested in the cake. :)

Okay, here goes! For the whole oats, I used oat groats, which are not really raw. You can use those, or if you want really raw oats, you can order oats for sprouting (not the oat groats) from www.sunorganic.com

Cake:

1 c. whole oats – grind/chop in Vita-mix (I used it on the adjustable setting, turned to about 8 or 9), or ground coarsely in flour grinder, or if your food processor works better than mine you could use that…

1/2 c. raw carob powder

6 medjool dates

1/4 cup raw honey

Combine the ground up oats & all other ingredients in food processor & blend until well combined.

Frosting:

1 cup raw carob powder

1 large avocado

1/2 c. raw agave nectar

Blend all ingredients together in food processor until smooth. I added some peppermint oil to mine, & my son is eating the frosting by itself :)

Enjoy! This turned out not wet or gooey at all, but definitely stuck together.

• angie – im so sorry about the delay in response – family emergency and im just getting back into life again.

I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to do this – and of every which way i have tried to make the cake – this is all the same ingredients – but this looks like a better amount of things. I would putting WAY TOO MANY DATES IN THERE - way too many. I made one yesterday that was way too wet – so i dehydrated it for a few hours – worked better – but still not caky. I can not wait to try this – thank you so much again – that was so kind of you.

• Did you have to refridgerate this for a certain amount of time, or freeze it – or dehydrate it at all? Did you put this in a glass baking dish? Sorry – just curious. Thank you again.

No, I didn’t refrigerate it at all, except the leftover – and then it got really stiff & was hard to cut when I wanted more the next day :) I just formed the cake round on a plate & spread the frosting on – I don’t know how much of the frosting I used, because I made a bigger batch of it. I also don’t know how much peppermint oil I used, since I kept tasting and adjusting the flavor.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Oats are always steamed (rolled and whole) before being sold in any market. You’d need to purchase them online from a raw foods store (for ex. Alissa Cohen’s site) in order to find truly raw oats. Best of luck with the dessert!!