Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The Perfect vacation

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

As I pack for our annual perfect vacation spot for our family that is a bunch of mixed omnivore’s, I got to thinking…Where do you go? What makes it perfect when you are raw? I almost hate to give away our perfect spot but we head to Santa Rosa Beach on the Gulf Coast of Florida. Aside from the rejuvenating aqua water, the miles of bike/run trails, the sunsets that make you cry, and the stargazing that knocks your legs out from under you, there is fabulous Yoga and Pilates accross the street and everyday, I take my beach cruiser out to get the freshest daily fish for the Omnivores and my raw supplies at a little place called “For the Health of it”. The owners grow their own everything. I can even get raw bread there and there is a wonderful smoothie bar (the real kind that’s not afraid to put greens in the smoothies instead of powdered milk!). Now there are plenty of places on the gulf that are so overpopulated with amusement parks and condos that any hope of visualizing a star in the evening is impossible, but here lies our oasis where our teens play like 8 year-olds, crabbing, skimming, kayaking and castle building. Enjoy your getaways this summer!

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Wow, lzhpt, you might just give away your spot, that sounds amazing! You paint quite a pretty picture with your descriptions. Our perfect summer vacation spot is HOME! We travel much of the rest of the year since our daughter is homeschooled, so summer for us is home looking after the garden, going to the pool and taking our daughter to her various camps. A few side trips here and there this summer – Vermont, Martha’s Vineyard, but home is great because everyone else is gone!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Amysue & JoyceH—4got to mention the other trip this year is back to home—BOSTON, down the Cape to visit sis and up the coast to show the kids Maine & Acadia this year. Wait ‘til the kids put their feet in the water!!!! They’re used to 80 degree water—now that’s going to be funny. I’m not telling. i don’t mind giving away our secret spot on the Gulf as I’m always looking for places to go where you can eat fresh, exercise and find raw treats!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i had a great trip last summer to northern California. we drove down to San Fransisco and then up the coast. Every town had little coops and there was plenty of fresh fruit around. i also love going to New Hampshire (upper valley for those that know it) where I grew up. There is a river to canoe, lots of fresh produce, and plenty of mosquitoes!

This year I am vacationing mostly at home, although I will have some trips to New Hampshire and Portland. Seattle is great because the summers are not too hot, we have lots of fresh berries and cherries, the nights are long (light out until 9 or 10), you can escape to the mountains or ocean.

I have to say I have been to many of the places you mentioned, florida gulf coast, vermont, martha’s vineyard, maine, and they are all great places as well. i think traveling in the summer you have to stay close to farmer’s markets and/or stands, and pack whatever else you need.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Whidbey Island & the whole Seattle area! It’s fun & scenic, & I have family there :) I haven’t been there since being raw, though, so I don’t know where I’ll shop?

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Thanks for the info Joyce and believe me…I choose to stay rather “real-world” as well, between mastering the perfect cold-brew coffee this week to my weekly Vodka & soda (vodka distilled from grapes and 2 limes is as good as it gets).

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

Joyce H, ah yes encinitas Ca a great place not far from my home! Im heading to Trinidad California, for my 40th birthday (meeting friends from oregon there) we are renting a cottage in the redwoods! there is a fresh fish market and a local coop too i cant wait.

I would love to visit seattle ive only been as far as portland….as for the east coast, the eastern shore of maryland and deep creek lake hold fond memories for me,( i wasnt raw then so we bought tons of shell fish and crabs) lots of local fresh produce and quiet country roads..depending where you landed it was ocean or lake….nice week trips relaxing with no computers and no phone!!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Oh so nice update on my trip to the Gulf coast of Fla. and our precious Santa Rosa Beach—my favorite natural food store just 2 miles away had just got their figs in. I had a mad run on grape tomatoes—couldn’t stop eating them by the pint w/ Ani Phyo’s zucchini hummus and I went in for mint one day and there it was on the counter in a vase picked that morning from a local grower. It was so green and lush and made the most delicious…um…MOJITO!

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

Cape Tribulation in Far North Queensland in Australia….I just came back from a one month stay in Aussie and that was by far my favorite spot…its off the power grid and the star gazing was incredible. Its in the Daintree Rainforest I saw the entire arch of the milky way!! And I stayed here http://www.capetribfarmstay.com/

I want to go back. NOW!! :) I totally fell in love with the place. Myall beach is the most pristine place Ive ever seen.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I just bookmarked that one. Far, but…a tropical fruit orchard? Get out!!!!!