Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Cavities and Brushing Teeth

I stopped brushing my teeth about a year ago because I wasn’t getting bad breath since going raw and I figure no other animals do it. I found out today that I have 2 cavities. I don’t want to get them filled for a bunch of reasons (philosophical, health, financial).

Can anyone offer advice? Also what are other people’s dental habits?

James

Comments

• I’ve been to the dentist recently and I haven’t gone in over two years.

I floss my teeth every night and gargle with only water. I only brush my teeth 2 to 3 times a day with Baking Soda. Nothing else.

I had no cavities and the dentist said my teeth look great and it’s obvious I floss.

I read a book about raw foodist who don’t brush their teeth. This book convinced me that you should:

http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Secrets-Vegan-Diet-Wo…=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213897559&sr=8-1

If you don’t brush often, make sure you rinse with water each time you eat FRUITS.

• I’ve been to the dentist recently and I haven’t gone in over two years.

I floss my teeth every night and gargle with only water. I only brush my teeth 2 to 3 times a day with Baking Soda. Nothing else.

I had no cavities and the dentist said my teeth look great and it’s obvious I floss.

I read a book about raw foodist who don’t brush their teeth. This book convinced me that you should:

http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Secrets-Vegan-Diet-Wo…=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213897559&sr=8-1

If you don’t brush often, make sure you rinse with water each time you eat FRUITS.

• Just think of a small piece of date being stuck in between your teeth, raw or not…it still will start to digest/rot (enzymes and salivia in the mouth) and it’s super sugary (natural) which will cause cavities anyway. That doesn’t sound too hot. I’m a brusher. :)

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Hate to say it BUT animals have cavities and rotten teeth too…our cat and dog both had issues. Even wild animals have problems with their teeth…maybe they should brush :)

• Animals eat stuff that cleanses their teeth. They chew on bones and bark and stuff. You need to go find some Bark. No..just kidding.

We found the best toothpaste. It’s Uncle Harrys brand and it comes in a little glass jar. The taste is not the best..and we were about to toss it..but our teeth are amazing. I have never seen them so pearly white. And the ingredients are great. Then I tried their Shampoo and finally I have found a shampoo that works and doesn’t leave me all greasy after a few days.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Oh cool, what are the ingredients in that toothpaste? We just started using Tooth Soap, the liquid, ginger flavor. It’s almost too mild, I like a more bold taste, but at least it doesn’t taste gross like Tom’s toothpaste.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

as far as filling the cavities, did you ask the dentist how bad they are? you really don’t want them to get worse and have to get a root canal. oh the pain!

you could chew tea tree sticks. i don’t know how “natural” that is. i use tea tree toothpaste twice a day. and i floss every day (ok, every other sometimes) since i have flossed i haven’t had any cavities.

if any health problems i have heard that raw foodists have it is teeth problems! it is often from eating too much fruit i hear (and i assume not cleaning the teeth properly after). but it’s your body, so do what you want. just most of us want to avoid the pain at the dentist and/or tooth loss.

oh and about animals, i have two dogs. one chews like crazy on stuff (shoes, sticks, etc) and has GREAT teeth. the other doesn’t and his teeth are not so good. also, my cat just has a genetic defect where her teeth start decaying at an early age. poor girl only has 2 left.

• If you don’t tend to a cavity it will just get worse. Better to get a small cavity filled than have to have your whole tooth restored with the possibility of root canal and crowns.

I’m amazed to hear that someone doesnt brush their teeth. Even if you don’t use toothpaste it’s something that’s really important especially after meals. Flossing too. Raw food is still food. It still gets stuck behind your teeth and needs to be rinsed/brushed/flossed out.

I actually use toothpaste with 5 times the fluoride because my teeth (from a life of not drinking fluoridated water and indulging in sugary drinks) are so bad. I honestly don’t care about any supposed “negative” effects on my health because having teeth is kind of important to me.