what's the highest you set your dehydrator?

nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

gabriel cousens’ recipes often call for 145 degrees, but I thought above 118 the enzymes are destroyed? thanks for advice!

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

There’s plenty of debate on this. To be safe, set it at 114. If you feel that gabriel is right, his reasoning is basically that the food with lots of water in it stays at a lower temp even though the dehyd. is at 145 the food is cooler at first, while it’s wet. Anyway it’s your call!

• grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

I have had problems with food going bad at low temp, so I start at 135 for about an hour and monitor the internal temperature of the food with a digital food thermometer. There is also difference of opinion about how high the temp can go before enzymes are destroyed. I would like to get some definitive info about this. I have heard anything from 105 to 118??

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I don’t dehydrate much in the summer, but i started doing the 1 hour at 140 then continuing just under 115. i find the food tastes better and is less likely to breed bacteria.

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Hi nycgrrl (fancy meeting you here :-))

I do not agree with Gabriel Cousens’ rationale. Do have my own chapter and verse as to why but due to time constraints will just say I NEVER turn the dehydrator higher than 105 F and there’s absolutely no reason to.

I’ve made all sorts of raw goodies over the last 18 months at 105 max and sometimes 95-100. We should be turning our dehydrators lower rather than higher.

For ‘raw’, think ‘body temperature’, or, at the warmest,’hot sun’. 145 F, whatever the rationale claimed, for however short a time, is never…raw. It’s baking the food – might as well put it in the oven.