Help! Detox One Year later?

I have been 90%+ raw since mid-March of 2007. I did a lot of wheatgrass juice last summer, I’ve done three gallbladder cleanses (the result is great, but the process is reprehensible – blagh:() and I’ve had at least 5 colonics. At first, the excess weight and cellulite vanished. Then, this winter, my weight slowly crept up again, but the cellulite that appeared seemed worse! At this point I was using a lot of maca powder (about a tablespoon each day) and stopping this seemed to help the weight and cellulite on my thighs reduce somewhat.

From reading Chris Carleton’s posts, he seems to suggest that any cellulite or weight would be considered toxins that the body does not want. I also recall reading somewhere that people often experience an increase in weight about one year after beginning this lifestyle change. I am beginning to wonder what I am doing wrong, though I think my age and changing hormonal balance may be a significant contributing factor. (46 year old female with 3 kids:)

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions would be helpful. Could I still be detoxing?

Thanks

Comments

• rAWngish teechr: I’m not an expert by any means, but form what I’ve read on this forum and other forums, I think your body seems to find a “happy weight” when following a raw lifestyle. As long as you are eating enough calories to fuel your daily activities and exercise, I wouldn’t be too worried. It’s possible that your body could still be adjusting.

• rAWngish teechr – i’m also quite new to raw, but one suggestion is to reduce the amount of fat. are you eating a lot of nuts, avocado, oils, seeds, etc? so far i’ve lost about 20lbs eating raw, but in the past month i’ve been following Dr Graham’s 80/10/10 diet, in which you drastically cut down on all fats. (By the way, i’m 45 with 2 kids).

• KAIT - Thanks for the advice:) My conscious mind knows this, but my “media/culture manipulated” mind tells me I should be thinner.

mimo22 – I don’t think that I eat a lot of nuts, etc. but I think I’ll try your suggestion of Dr. Graham’s. Can you tell me exactly what the 80/10/10 stands for, if you time, or I can search it online. Does he recommend anything about salt?

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I recommend getting Doug Graham’s book because it goes into so much detail about the 80% carbs, 10% fat, 10% protein lifestyle. I don’t think anyone can do it justice to just tell a few details. It’s an interesting book :)

As for detoxing a year later… yes, you can. Everyone’s body detoxes at different speeds and with us all having different levels of exposure to toxins whether diet, environmental, stress, or having hormonal experiences with age, etc, you can experience detox at different times.

Are you exercising? That is the BEST way to get in shape, be fit and help get rid of cellulite.

Cheers, Kristen Suzanne

• Thanks for the advice, Kristen. I think I will have to stop at the bookstore today to buy Doug Graham’s book!

Yes, I do exercise a fair bit. I have run marathons, 10ks and my weekly running mileage is about 30kms. I think I may need to do some weight training or get back into the yoga.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The people who use this site are so caring:)