Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Greens 101

Hi, everybody! I became a big fan of the green smoothies not too long ago. The only problem is that my knowledge of greens is pretty limited, so I am only using spinach and lettuce. I would like to get the benefits from the other greens out there, but I have no idea where to start… Is there a website or a book that tells you which greens what benefits they offer and how to use them in a raw food recipe… Am I asking for too much? Yesterday in Planet Organic I saw a little bag with asian greens in it… no idea what that meant. I asked the store people and they were clueless as well (keep in mind I live in Calgary, if that helps)... I need to take a course called Greens 101. Please share with me your green experience as I am pretty green to the greens:-) Thank you! With graditute: Elina

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

maybe it was Bok Choy?

I love parsely, cilantro or coriander as we call it here, kale, kale and um kale, I love kale! Celery is a green too, it ‘counts’ as a green even though it isn’t leafy, but it’s leaves are leafy greens. Cucumber is a terrific non leafy green too.

Then there’s dandelion greens – free! Nettles – free! But careful about the sting ;0 Wheatgrass, normal wild or lawn grass.

• Zoe, you use normal grass for green smoothies? I’ve never heard about that, but I’ve often wondered why. We live in the country, so I could use fresh, wild grass…what’s so good about wild grass? Is the fibre too tough (like wheatgrass) for our digestive system, I’m not a cow, lol. Looking forward to hearing your answers.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Sky Princess, I also use lawn grass, plantain, poke and other weeds from my out in the country yard as well as what Zoe mentioned. They all blend up into a liquid and I drink them down without problems. I do mix them with either spinach, kale or collards as their flavor is a bit strong. planetorganic, enjoy your new adventure!!! You will be delighted with the outcome!!! ;)

• Waterbaby, thanks! I love green smoothies, but never have tried just normal grass. Do you know any special benefits of it?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Book: Green for Life

• whoa! how come I never thought of saving up some money and using the grass in your own back yard??!! well that’s an idea! hehe but I recently just “expanded” my ingredients and bought kale, parsley, and red cabbage (even tho that’s not really green) and I’ve already been using cucumber and celery, spinach, and romaine.. all really good, but the kale I found was Really Strong!! hmmm. any ideas on how to cover it up a little bit??

thanks much!

• Zoe, you mentioned nettles in your post. Do you get a sting if they are blended up in a smoothie? I am thinking about transplanting some to the property where I live. There is a small stream so they would do well there but being raw I do not know if I can use them or not. Has anyone else used them raw? I want to get a high speed blender to make smoothies and am happy to hear that it works to use grasses. I think if I used a wheatgrass juicer to use those that it would be such a hassle that it would not work for me.

• wow, normal lawn grass. Does that have the same benefits as wheat grass? And if I throw some grass (wheat of otherwise) directly into my high speed blender will I get the same benefits as using a wheatgrass juicer? Thanks!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

attention all you americans wanting ot munch lawn grass! please please please check out your type of grass. ie alot of grasses for lawns genetically modified against weed production and brown spots ect ect….natural grasses are not all pretty, uniform in size and bright green like most lawns..most grass seed is not organic!!! most yards recieve huge amounts of runoff from your neighbors fertilized yards not to mention other sourses….PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION!!!! If you are interested in grass consumption check out www.nicholsgardennursery.com among others that sell organic wild grass seeds ect. grow it in a raised bed and graze away…...happy investigating