I think the vitamix cooked my almond butter!!!

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Wow so excited I was to free myself from the $25 jar of truly raw almond butter. I soaked the yummy almonds, put them in my beloved vitamix w/ a little almond oil and filtered water with a little sea salt. The whirring began and I really let that baby run. When reached that creamy consistency and opened the top steam came out!!!!!!! It’s still delicious and nothing like the jarred stuff w/ the oil on top. It’s fluffy and wonderful inside a date…but how do I keep from cooking things in the vitamix when they need to run long for the the consistency factor?

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’d say just run it for a minute, then stop for a couple minutes to let it cool. Then run it again, and stop.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

haha! my husband said this type of thing happened when he made tahini. he adds ice instead of water.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I would only make nut butter out of soaked and dehydrated nuts (this way they’re sprouted, yet dry). This will last about a month or so in your refrigerator.

I make mine in my food processor (fitted with “S” blade). Throw in a couple cups of nuts and a pinch of salt and process away. It can take 10-15 minutes, so stop the process a couple of times to prevent the nuts from getting too warm. No need for added oil, although you can add a dash to help it process if you choose. For mine, I simply use the nuts and a dash of Himalayan crystal salt.

Cheers,

Kristen Suzanne

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Thank you! i knew someone would have the answer! Great idea to use dehydrated nuts, Kristen—I bet the nutbutter will last longer as well? My tahini exploded in the jar after only 2 days. It fermented! Do you dehydrate your sesame seeds also when making tahini?