Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hair Shine Product

Hi All

I would like to buy some hair shine but not sure what to get. I’ve tried coconut oil but even the littlest bit feels too thick on my hair. I was in the Vitamin Shoppe yesterday and saw Jojoba oil, Avocado oil, Tea Tree oil but only the Avocado one said for the hair. Not sure if I could use the others.

Anyone have suggestions? What do you use?

Also, does anyone have a hair spray to recommend

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I use aveda products.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Henna is good for shine. They put it in herbal shampoos and conditioners. And you can use it as a dye. It makes my hair really shiny.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Jojoba oil is the oil that is most like the natural oils on your hair and skin. So that is the best choice in oils for your hair and scalp. Coconut oil will moisturize but not really add shine. You might want to try a a little bit of shea butter – just a small amount as it is heavy.

A neutral henna treatement will also add shine.

A lemon rinse is the next thing that will add shine. If you want to use a spray, you can make a citrus hair spray, lemon and water. It will give you some hold too.

I wouldn’t recommned using hair spray – full of alcohol that will dry out your hair and make it even further dull. If a hair spray says it adds shine to hair, what gives you the shine is a bunch of chemicals and waxes that unnaturally coat the hair. It is in best interest of your hair health to use natural products.

Since I went no poo my root are nice and shiney.

• JDJD

Thanks all.

I looked up the neutral henna and it seems worth doing. Anyone know of a particular brand or where I should buy it?

pundee -

I would use Light Mountain Henna Products – completely natural! 100% henna. You can buy at most HFS and Whole foods. I have used the neutral many times and it adds some shine.

It seems weird but believe it or not there are hennas that are not completley natural. To be sure, check the ingredients before you buy to make sure there isn’t anything but henna in it. Hennaculent is one not to use – it has lots of chemicals in it.

• Doesn’t Henna change the color of your hair?? And just so you know, once you put that in, you can’t change the color back until the henna grows out. It is more than permanent. :)

RawSarah -

Yes, most henna adds color but there is a “neutral” henna that has no color – it only conditions and adds shine! I have used it several times. It makes your hair feel strong and thick too. ;)

Just look in the henna section you should see one that says “neutral” or “clear”.

• That sounds great! Thanks queenfluff. :) I am going to look at my Sprouts tomorrow. :)

• JDJD

Ok, so I went to my local nature store and bought Rainbow Neutral Henna. Not quite what I expected. Perhaps I had shinny hair to begin with. I thought it would be much shinnier than it came out. Was very soft though and I could tell my hair felt completely different. I will for sure do it again and I love the smell of herbs on my hair.

Question: Has anyone used the Henna shampoo/Conditioner. Rainbow is made with neutral Henna and as I said, I do like the effect on my hair.

Also, for the first time I’ve been able to just put organic Gel in my hair and not blow dry it. I’ve been using Kiss My Face for a few months now and can’t remember the name of my gel but it does not have any of the bad stuff in it. I was just so shocked because I was never able to do that before. Hair always looked funky when it air dried. I think because I’m using better products on my hair, it’s turning out much more manageable and natural.

Clearly I am not at the no poo stage.