Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Apple Fries!?

kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Just heard about Burger Kings’ Apple Fries.

The red apples are cut to resemble french fries and are served in the same containers as fries, but they are not fried and are served skinless and cold.

It is interesting to see how they bring healthier food into their children’s menu, rather strange and yet positive at the same time. Makes me hungry for jicama fries!

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

That’s very interesting. I never would have thought a place like Burger King would make apple fries. Maybe in 200 years they will be all raw!

Yes, you’re making me want to go to the store and buy a big juicy jicama, or a big juicy apple and make some raw caramel dip.

I believe McDonald’s has Apple Dippers with Caramel, but they are not labeled as “fries”. I think the world might be stepping in a good direction for the future. :)

• Sabrina1979Sabrina1979 Raw Newbie

Had them for my son for the first time today…..i knew he would like it anyway since he loves apples..but he also loves fries….and today we got him some..he is 2.5 yrs old and had the funniest look on his face when we handed him the fries. They cut them just like fries but they where still in plastic wrap and not like promoted in the “fries” container….but he loved them anyway…i think they dont try to fool kids, but make food more appealing when it is presented like that….really loved it…

• Hate to sound negative, but I wonder what they are dipped in to keep them from turning brown and where and how long ago they were prepared?

I’ll second that

ok..they are dipped in lemon juice..thats it…and honestly…they may lost some of the nutrients since being prepared early (but who cares) its not suppose to be a everyday snack..just for on the go maybe once in a while…my kids eat apples anyway and this is just a cool alternative for us non 100% raw who splurge every once in a while on some fries and a burger with the kids in the back seat…

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I went to a McDonald’s for the first time in many years a few months ago to get an organic coffee out of desperation for a long drive. When I went up to the counter instead of to the bathroom my daughter said, “Mom, what are you doing???” She spotted the apple dippers so I figured it couldn’t hurt, until I looked at the ingredients in the dip. Right there at the counter I told her she could eat the apples but not the dip and she burst into tears while the woman behind the counter looked on in confusion.

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

it is another step in the right direction.

i said years ago that i wished i had the money to open a healthy fast food chain. imagine being able to drive up and order an organic salad WITH avocado and raw dressing or smoothies or what-have-you. course, it is idealistic and a pipe dream but it would be cool ;0)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Now we wait and see how long it takes a worker to mingle their raw feces- contaminated cow hands with the raw apple fries before the media announces that all apples are bad! Always a cynic—can’t help it. It’s my Virgo coming out.

Amysue…i do the same thing..my son had the fruit bowl maybe 5 times over the last year and i never give him the dip..he just eats the apples, grapes and i let him have a few of the walnuts that come with it…..

lzhpt – aaahhhh! Not that I was tempted.

Aziah – we have healthy fast food here, we’re so lucky!! It’s a chain called O’Naturals, it’s in Massachusetts and Maine and they have sandwiches, salads, soups and pizza with mostly organic ingredients, everything in the place is recycled including the bathroom stalls. It’s heaven – they do community fundraisers, put local artists work on the walls, bake their own bread. It’s definitely priced differently than McDonald’s but it has to be.

They’re franchising! http://www.onaturals.com/

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Amysue-thanks! I’m heading to Boston on Wed and from there to the Cape and then Acadia. Can i find one of those on the way? let me go back to the website for thos locations. Awesome!

You’d probably have the best luck in Maine, definitely have a stop in! The spicy cilantro salad is my favorite and has no dairy. Keep in mind it’s not a raw restaurant. Sounds like lovely places to be!