Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hospitals......

Well, I have been doing a junior volunteer program at my local hospital this summer. I deliver patient’s newspapers and food trays, so I get to see alot. It’s mostly elderly people. They all look so terrible and frail. It really makes me want to eat raw and stay raw for as long as I live. I don’t want to be hooked up to machines in order to stay alive when I’m 70. I want to be healthy. This has been a huge eye opener for me. All of the conditions these people have could have been prevented with a healthy diet.And I can’t believe the food they feed sick people. Pudding, cake, meat, ugh, it’s awful. Eating raw is so worth it. Being stuck in a hospital sucks.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I had to go to hospital recently with a tooth thing. I was in awful pain in my back teeth and they kept offering me toast!! And endless offers of tea and coffee. I said to them, ‘All I want is some fruit!” The lady said she’d try and see what she could find. She went off for an hour searching for some fruit and came back with an orange she took from a patient’s bedside, a gift of fruit a relative had brought in. That orange was the best tasting thing I has ever eaten! I felt like starting a charity to go round hospital wards handing out fruit and veggies! There is one that gives out books and visits people who have no-one to visit. There should be one for fruit and veg.

Here in the UK many people have gone into hospital with minor things and ended up dead because of a “superbug” that is found when they don’t clean the hospitals properly. Scary.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Yup when my vegan husband was in the hospital he practically starved to death on top of what he was fighting. I had to bring him food everyday. And the hospital cafeterias are worse! Pizza and all kinds of junk. What better place for a juice bar, huh?

• Starting a charity to deliver fruit/vegs to hospitals is a great idea!

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Gee – this one really hits home for me.
    Two years ago I was hospitalized for 3 months with a broken back and considering the ‘diet’ they gave me I’m amazed I healed enough to leave!
    And the scariest part is that these places have paid “dietitians”.

Honestly – the worst was the last of the 3 months. They moved me to a nursing home because although I was still unable to get out of bed I was no longer considered acute enough to remain in a ‘hospital’.
    This facility had the most shockingly horrendous food I’ve ever seen and experienced… some examples:
    canned/high sodium vegetables (fresh vegetables, if ever available, consisted of iceburg lettuce),
    deep-fried ‘breaded’ fish and animal products
    processed cold-cuts and hot-dogs
    cow’s milk, and “fruit-juices” that were basically colored sugar-water
    “oatmeal” that was so watery it was like they dipped a few oat flakes in a tub of hot water and passed it off as a ‘meal’.
    Even SAD pizza would have been a godsend at that place.

My family & friends brought in decent/healthy food whenever they could, but the staff frequently threw it away – much of it before I got to have any of it! (because of my back fractures I was unable to get to the ‘community refrigerator’ and the staff constantly disregarded the fact that my family & friends put LABELS on my food). It was extremely frustrating!

I still feel bad for the elderly people who must live out the remainder of their lives there. Many of them have no advocates and must accept the meals that they are given.
    It’s a real shame. The place is very lovely LOOKING on the outside. I believe that is how they get people to sign themselves (and all of their assets) over to the facility before the person gets to know what it is REALLY like.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

ugh, I hear all of your stories. A friend of mine went to a treatment center for an eating disorder and all they fed them was “hospital food”. She has been vegan for years, even before her eating issues came up, and they forcefed her shitmeat and shitcheese for “protein”. This is not nourishment! This in no way is helpful to those suffering from eating problems, especially when they start as mental problems. Ugh. After about 6 weeks she transferred to another center that focused on eating the “FDA-approved” 5-9 fruits and veggies a day, and lots of sunlight, and she started to make drastic improvements. They even had vegetarian options if she pushed. In a nutshell, institutionalized food is definately one of the leading factors that keeps people in the hospital for so long. ugh .

• I have been to hospital years ago because of my eating disorders, and I kept tons of apples and bananas under my bed, cos I refused to eat many of the food they gave, they were soo unhealthy: chocolate bars, white bread, tons of cheese and salami and meat. Maybe twice a weeek they gave one piece of fruit as well.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Really, how do they expect people to get better?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

wow it seems like they were trying to get rid of one eating disorder and start another!

• I’m a nurse working in a nursing home, it’s very scary indeed! Truly they don’t know any better. I have most of the dept. heads drinking green smoothies each day and I wish I could administer green smoothies/juices through the patients feeding tubes. The residents also never get out into the sunlight or fresh air—- so sad :(.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

spirit-I know! They’re locked up in their tiny little rooms with no fresh air, I do feel sorry for them. Kudos on the green smoothies….one step at a time,right. At least there’s one nurse who knows what she’s doing.

• I just got out of the hospital after being there for two weeks and I guess I lucky because I was able to order a fresh fruit platter for most of my meals. It was certainly slim pickings on the veggies but at least there was fruit.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

gah! It’s like, “what? you have no appetite for this processed cheese and solami sandwich on wonderbread? Well then! HERE is a pill that will cure that, and then you’ll eat this right up!”