Lines through posted comments

greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Hi… in case anyone is interested in (or wondering) why they get lines through entire sections of text they submit in a reply to a topic…. I think it happens when people put a dash, ”-” before and after the text that gets crossed out.
I could be wrong about this, but if you find that some of your post comments have lines through them then you might want to hit the ‘edit’ button and get rid of your dash(es)... or put space between them and the text.
But please pardon me if I am mistaken! :)

Comments

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Oh… I just experimented with it. It happens if you use one OR two dashes before and after the text…

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I just put a space – between the dash & text.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I believe the line through the text (strike through) happens when there are two dashes in the message (dash text dash). If there is one, the strike through doesn’t happen. If something strange happens in a message, try deleting from where funky text starts (like a few characters) to before the funkiness happens. There are some formatting structures that are not documented or sometimes happen when saving a message. To see a few formatting “helpers”, goto a Edit box and look in the green section on the right (says Formatting Help).

Happy formatting…

• Yep, it’s just an artifact of the “textile” formatting method we use on here. Maybe there’s a way we can turn that off, because it’s kind of distracting and probably never intentionally used on here.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Yeah, ray~ It would be really simple and helpful if only the formatting that you document were the only ones that worked. It would cut down on a lot of the funkiness (and stress) that happens in the posts and people not understanding how to it happened or how to fix it.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Yes, thanks bluedolfin and Ray. I had figured out the ‘why’ of why strikethrough happens as I stated above (it’s the “dashtextdash” thing).
    I started this post simply as an FYI to just let others know about it in case they wanted to fix any of their previous entries or if they want to prevent it in future comments that they post.
    It is very nice, after all, that we can go in and edit our own comments
    But thanks for your input and searching behind the scenes for other means of dealing with it.