fructose malabsorption

hey everyone, it’s been a looong time since I posted. I have been raw for like 4 months now I think? and I love it, I feel much better than before when I ate a very healthy but cooked diet. however – I have had gluten and lactose intolerance, so I cut those foods out about 5 years ago, but no matter what I did the symptoms (mainly bloating/gas) always came back. I’ve been doing some research and found out about fructose malabsorption, which for many gluten/lactose intolerant people seems to go hand in hand with those. I’ve been practically living off fruit because I love it and thought it was the one “safe” food group…but now I guess I have to try a low fructose diet, and cut out most of those fruits. Does anyone have any experience with this, or know of any good resources? It doesn’t seem to be a widely known thing, and there are limited resources online (they all give the same list of food, but don’t cover nearly all of the vegetables I’d like to know about!). I may have to compromise and reduce my % of raw down from about 95% until I figure out what works and what doesn’t, which is ok by me – at this point I will try almost anything. Thanks!

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

LizK~ I know nothing about your situation, but I will tell you I had a gas and bloating problem that stopped after 6 months of 98% raw… So I would say, if you haven’t been on fruit for 6 months, you might want to try it before changing again… Good luck and I hope you are able to find what works best for you!!!

• Lizk, I’m a huge fruit fan, and I live mainly on fruit too! Sometimes it is still possible to get bloated and a bit of gas while eating fruits if you don’t combine them correctly. Generally, bananas are best eaten without the acidic ones like oranges or kiwis, as bananas contain starch. Also, its best to eat melons on its own, if you combine with another fruit too soon, you may feel bloated or even get heart burn. Oh yes, if you eat fats like avocadoes, nuts/seeds, try to have these last ie. after you eat the fruits. Hope my experience can help! :)