Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Kombucha Brewing

How do I brew kombucha? I just had some from the health food store (it was raw too!) and I really like it. I had it at four hours ago and I’m still not hungry. I want to know how I can brew my own.

Do you guys have any links to a website that tells you how, or any tips? thanks :D

Comments

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

hellooooooo

• Hello, I used to brew Kombucha, it is pretty easy to do and WAY cheaper than buying it at a store. I found this site pretty helpful. :) http://www.happyherbalist.com/kombucha.htm

• msrawdivamsrawdiva Raw Newbie

i was JUST coming here to ask if kombucha was raw – it appears that i’ve formed a bit of addiction to gt’s gingerade and, although it says “organic raw”, i need verification because i’m hearing some foodstuffs may say its raw but really isn’t. my local sprouts store ran out of gingerade, so i’m drinking the multi-green one.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

RACHEL – Hope you doing well this summer and having fun. You will be back in school soon enough. And graduating this year – right?

Kombucha recipes

I found this Cheese Slave site the other day while trying to find a kombucha yogurt recipe for WaterBaby. It has pictures of SCOBYs so you will know when your creation is going in the right direction. Scary looking things aren’t they? This Cheese Slave gal might be very approachable and seems to take pride in her fermenting skills. You could probably drop her a comment if you needed her expertise.

• RisnwthHimRisnwthHim Raw Newbie

Rachel – I LOVE Kombucha, to the point of now having a $90/month Kombucha “habit”. Interestingly, I’m the organizer of the Raw Food Meetup group in Cincinnati and one of our members asked me for a Kombucha recipe earlier this evening. I haven’t made it myself, but there others in our group who make all their Kombucha regularly. aecsaky gave you a very good link above (happyherbalist) and here are a couple more for you to peruse:

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=428983

http://alucidspoonful.blogspot.com/2008/03/art-...

Let us know how it turns out. I intend to make some myself—just not now. I just started a new FT job yesterday w/ a steep learning curve so I have all I can do just to keep enough raw food prepared so I don’t fall off the wagon. One thing at a time!

• I’ve been thinking about Kombucha lately. I had a Kombucha growing when I lived in California. When I moved to the UK, I gave my Kombucha to a good home. Now, I think it’s time to adopt one again! If anyone reading this lives near London and would like to give away a Kombucha baby, please get in touch. Also, I found this website:

http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/fermenting/kombu…

• hello. Does anyone have a good source of scoby? I have only had a couple GT Kombuchas but I love love LOVE it! Sadly, I cannot afford to drink it much unless I learn to make it myself.

I remember reading some where that you can use a bottled one to make a new scoby, but I wasn’t sure if that was true or not.

• msrawdivamsrawdiva Raw Newbie
  • Mamak, I’m trying right now to produce a scoby from a bottled organic kombucha. I’ll let you know if it works.

• This nice Making Kombucha video on Vimeo may help?

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

wow, thanks for all the help! i didn’t think i was gonna get so many responses. :D

• Mamak, I thought I would give you an update on my attempt to produce a scoby from a bottled organic kombucha. It didn’t work!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

The first time I purchased Kombucha I took one swig and pitched it. Months later, I took three swigs while holding my nose and then pitched it, Last week, I bought one and enjoyed it, I like the way it makes me feel and i like the taste,

I cannot afford a $130 a month kombucha habit. Can you make this stuff without sugar, as in is there a substitute?

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

For your viewing pleasure… Here are a “few” other threads that discuss kombucha…

Phew… that was fun…

Many of the threads answer the question about using/not using sugar, as well as tons of additional info and links.

• if anyone is in the Vancouver, BC area, my friend will be having a how to make kombucha workshop on Monday July 13th.

for more info or to rsvp contact me at gbourdages@gmail.com

thanks

Genny