Grape Leaves

I picked some grape leaves to try pickling them so i can stuff them later and I have some extra leaves does anyone know if they can be eaten raw or juiced?

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I haven’t tried juicing them, but I love to pick, wash, dry & stuff them. I never have bothered to soften them. Seed cheese and tabouli salad are AWESOME wrapped in grape leaves. The tabouli salad you sort of have to grab a glob of with the leaf & stick it all in your mouth together – pretty fun :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

so…are the grape leaves in the jars raw or not? we wanna make raw stuffed grape leaves…mmmm.

bitt – Rhio has a recipe for stuffed grape leaves in her book “Hooked on Raw”.

Okay, I just checked the recipe, and even though the raw grape leaves are marinated (olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt & nama shoyu) and frozen overnight, she says, “These leaves are not soft like the store bought ones that have been cooked and/or pasteurized. You will have to chew them a bit.”

I’m happy with fresh off the vine – they’re good with a flavorful filling, and definitely much easier to prepare. Although the other ones might be good, too, if I felt like doing more work. It’s hot here in the summer, so I’m lazy :)

• I have a recipe on here for stuffed grape leaves using brazil nuts. I thought it turned out pretty well, but that advice on marinating sounds like a good trick.

lulushka8 – I’ve been wondering about juicing them, thanks! Do you mix it with other stuff?

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Yes, you can eat them raw but you might find them tastier if you marinate/pickle them. Did you pick them wild?