Sun Dried Tomatoes vs. Dehydrated Tomatoes

I’m trying to figure out if there’s a difference between sun dried tomatoes and dehydrated tomatoes. I want to make that raw chili recipe and realize it calls for sun dried. I bought sun-dried once and found out they weren’t raw. I’ve since dehydrated some tomatoes and am wondering how I can use them.

Any info is welcomed and appreciated! :)

Comments

• I trust my own dehydrated tomatoes more than most store bought sun dried tomatoes. At least I know how they were prepared and at what temperature. I use my own dehydrated tomatoes in any recipe that calls for sun dried. Here’s some information about food enzymes and dehydrator temperatures that seems relevent to this discussion:

http://www.healthy-woman.info/rawfoods/food-deh…

When I lived in California, I sun dried my own tomatoes and I can tell you that the temperature of them often exceeded the temperature in my dehydrator. Now that I live in England, sun drying my own tomatoes is a thing of the past!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

HEALTHY WOMAN – Thank you for that link. That seems to answer the discrepancies I keep seeing regarding temperatures.

Enzymes can also be denatured by ph changes so I am a little concerned about some of my homemade dressings.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Wow – you live in England?! How cool. Seen any neat castles or other historically important features? :D

Thank you for the link, that does clear up some stuff for me since I am new to dehydrating and was getting a little confused!

Also I would like to know about the sun-dried tomatoes: will they have a similar flavor as dehydrated ones?

• YES! Thank you for the link, I was able to share with all my friends via facebook…makes it easier for them to understand my intentions!

• Khass Ladki, yes I’ve seen loads of castles and such. Seems they are around every bend here. Stonehenge and other stone cirlces are the coolest. But I miss CA sunshine. About the home-made dehydrated tomaotes…mine taste better than any store bought ones I’ve ever had. Of course, start with tasty fresh tomatoes. Bland fresh tomatoes will make bland dried ones.

Meditating, I would be grateful for any info you can share about enzymes being denatured by PH changes.

Namaste from Healthy Woman