Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

COFFEE EVIL OR HEAVEN SENT?

I HEAR ALL THESE PEOPLE PROUDLY STATING THEY HAVE QUITE COFFEE. AS YOU CAN SEE BY MY USER NAME I’M A DEVOTED FAN. IS ORGANIC DECAFF OK??? ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS, BECAUSE I’M HAVING A HARD TIME LETTING GO. I’VE TRIED TEA, IT’S ALRIGHT, BUT IT JUST DOESN’T HAVE THAT SMELL THAT I LOVE. DO YOU THINK IT MAKES A DIFFERANCE IF YOU USE A WHOLE BEAN AND GRIND IT YOURSELF? I MIX IT WITH ORGANIC ALMOND MILK, AND STEVIA. IS COFFEE TRULY BAD FOR US? I KNOW IT’S A NATURAL DIRECTIC BUT I GET 80 OUNCES OF WATER A DAY, I SHOULD BE OK. RIGHT…......

Comments

• I have heard that the chemicals used in the decaffination process are known carcinogens. There are also studies that link decaff coffee to heart disease.

I also struggle some days but my personal choice is to try to stay away from it. There’s no judgement here though – if your choose to drink coffee, you choose to drink coffee. :)

• THANKS KARUNA- I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THE CARCINOGENS OR THE HEART DISEASE. THAT HITS HOME FOR ME SINCE I STRUGGLED WITH HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE BEFORE LOOSING WEIGHT FROM GOING RAW. MAYBE I NEED A NEW FAV. DRINK THANKS :)

• Karuna, what about water processed decaf? I was off coffee for a long time, but recently went on vacation to Mexico where the coffee was GREAT. Needless to say, I’m back on it. I know I have to make a real effort to stop, but this does seem to be a life long issue for me! I do love matcha green tea (has caffeine, I know), but guess that’s a good place to start (again). Sigh.

• Cappuccino…I am with you on this one! I LOVE my 2 cups of coffee in the morning. I think that if you have made the big change from the SAD diet to a mostly raw and healthy one, you are way ahead of the game and a little coffee won’t negate all that. I also switched to tea for a while but I always go back to coffee. Just try to stick with organic because I read somewhere that coffee is probably the most pesticide-sprayed crop known to man. Also, supposedly coffee is an acidifying food which is taxing to the body. Tea is also acidifying but green tea is alkalizing (I think). Just do the best you can and remember that denying yourself too much will make it that much harder to stick with the whole healthy eating plan in general.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Coffee has always given me the jitters so I’ve never been a drinker. I’m a tea addict. I’ve been trying to cut down on caffiene and have been drinking chicory coffee which I get from the healthfood store. It’s caffeine free and tastes a lot like coffee – I add some vanilla and stevia to taste. Yum!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

To be quite frank coffee is very healthy. It has cancer and diabetes fighting qualities. Many studies have been done on it and they all come out positive. I would definitely avoid decaf if you can simply because of the process used and organic coffee is a good choice too. Don’t deprive yourself. Life is to short!

• I avoid caffeine of all sorts, it is bad in my opinion as it is a drug and tend to get people hooked, as Carmentina I prefer healthy alternatives as chicory or barley. The taste may be different but it is just a matter of habit and I can have as much as I want.

• troublesjustabubble:) you’re giving me too much coffee encouragement! Actually, studies have shown coffee is useful in fighting Parkinson’s disease as well. Still, I do feel better when I’m off it. Just have to recognize that I will probably be going back and forth with it forever. Hey, at least it’s not dope!

Melaverde, I agree and disagree with you. Caffeine has it’s benefits too. I’m not saying it’s for everyone and it probably isn’t great to have a dependency on anything but seriously, it helps in moments of need. haha.

I avoid drinking coffee too much just so I don’t have to depend on it but there are definitely mornings when I can’t make it without it.

Mon46, I think I’ll spend my life doing the same thing. I used to have bad acid reflux before I went raw and I couldn’t drink coffee because it caused it to flare up so I’ve been loving it since my reflux went away from raw food. hehe

• troublesjustabubble:) – I am OK with coffeine as long as it doesn’t become an addiction…I prefer to avoid it as I know I would not be able to limit myself to moderate/occasional use….I am the “all or nothing” type of guy! LOL

• troublesjustabubble:), same deal for me regarding the acid reflux. It’s gone away due to my diet (had to cut out the nuts—too much fat), so here I am tempting fate again. Glad I’m not the only one!

• mooooorrrre coooffffeeee…. I drink this wonderful organic java called Ruta Mata. It’s fair trade, grown not too far away – in mexico and roasted here in Texas. I enjoy a cup of it every day… Yes life is short, and besides, why would I deprive my little nursling of her java?? she seems to enjoy it along with her normal high from breastmilk…. we a couple of happy babies here. heh heh.

whoa you give coffee to your baby? Or just through the milk?

Melaverde that’s totally where I’m at with caffeine. Love it when I need it but I make a point not to use it to addiction simply because I know myself.

• no. LOL. I’m cracking up here. She is 13 months old and on a mono-diet of breastmilk… Soooo, of course, since I drink one cup a day she’s receiving small amounts through my breastmilk… along with all the other yummy foods i eat. ; )

haha okay, that’s what I thought but for some reason right when I read it I was like “Holy Cow!”. my bad. ha

Is it fun to be prego and raw? I can’t wait to try that.

• Hi THECAPPUCCINOFAIRY, I had a latte drink I loved. It was my favorite thing. But I always said if I found out that coffee was damaging to my health I’d give it up. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. And the dairy and caffeine can both contribute to pain. So I decided to clean out my body! I became raw about 3 months ago. I’d done a Master Cleanse which helped get rid of the cravings for the caffeine and the dairy too. By going raw I’ve almost gotten rid of all my pain and almost all of the inflammation I was experiencing. When I feel the need to reconnect with the experience of a special drink – I make a yerba mate latte recipe I found on welikeitraw. http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2007/05/yerb… It’s not going to taste like coffee…I know because like you I really enjoyed my coffee – but it fills that emotional need for putting my hands around a cup :0) This drink has now become my special treat. I boil the water for the yerba mate. But I only heat the almond milk until it’s warm. So that it stays raw. I hope you find the balance you need. And if giving up coffee is right for you I hope you find a great substitute like I did.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Cappuccinofairy—have you ever tried Teeccino??
    It’s REALLY quite good! Especially when you add a dash of almond milk.
    It’s an herbal substitute for coffee AND it’s Alkaline NOT Acidic!
    The Vanilla Nut and the Chocolate Mint are my personal favorites.
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.teeccino.com/Default.aspx

http://www.teeccino.com/NutritionalBenefits.aspx

http://www.teeccino.com/quitting.aspx

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Addendum to my last post—when you use Teeccino you can ‘cut’ it with your favorite coffee. You don’t necessarily have to quit coffee cold turkey (or at all if you choose not to).
    You can mix both together for a while until you opt to have only the Teeccino. No pressure! But I have a feeling that once you start drinking it you won’t want to have the coffee! :)

• greenghost, great idea about cutting teccino with coffee. I have teccino and will definitely do this tomorrow morning. Thanks.

• I heard juliano drinks coffee, maybe check out how he brews it.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

the reason i am proud to say that I have quit coffee because it liberating to not be addicted to something, to have headaches and withdrawal. i feel much better without it so I know it was not right for me. everybody is different, some do not get addicted like i do.

• bitt – that is why i continually try to quit! like many other people who’ve posted here, i feel that it’s going to be a life long tennis match. and truthfully, the amount of time i’ve spent away from the beast since i was about 15 years old has been sooooooo much less time than the amount i’ve spent hooked that… well, wow.

i like to blame my genetics. i come from a family of religiously devoted coffee addicts. my mother used to drink 17 cups a day!! (needless to say, THAT was not healthy and caused some problems. she’s now thankfully down to three and totally fine :))

• bitt and dorian, I’m with you on your reason for quitting/wanting to quit. I only have been having a cup a day, and recognize it’s not a massive addiction, but I do find out so much about myself when I let it go. There’s definitely an emotional component to it as much as the smell and taste. I love the feeling of getting up early and having coffee with my fruit or smoothie. I know, I know, green smoothies should eliminate my desire for it, but they haven’t. It definitely is a “life long tennis match”!

• Clearly this is a ‘hot’ topic :). To answer the question from Mon46, I have not heard anything negative about the water decaf process. Sounds like a good middle ground. I just feel so much better when I don’t drink it. Again, my personal choice. Peace, Karuna

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

i finally quit coffee after 20 years of addiction…i know there are carcinogens in coffee, and since it is roasted, it has acrylamides, a cancer-causing agent just as is found in baked goods and french fries.

Here are some links: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/articl… http://www.nutraingredients.com/news/ng.asp?id=...

If you experience withdrawal when stopping coffee, that means you’re addicted, and I don’t want to be addicted to anything…except my husband LOL…the headaches, the jitters, the irritability are not worth it. It was NOT easy. I was drinking 2-4 cups a day and my husband was drinking 4-5, but we both quit and we feel amazing. I have never been a morning person but now I am able to get up at 6:30 and go running—in all my life, even when training for a marathon, i have never been able to do that. I needed coffee to wake me up.

Life is good.

• I quit coffee a month ago. I was drinking about 4 pots a day. I got to where I couldnt sleep duh.. imagine that. So I started drinking Green Tea. It’s good stuff.

• I’m with smitty. I went to China and was served this wonderful tea everywhere I went..I had to bring some home, and have gradually filled all my coffee ‘needs’ with new home brews of tea: green, oolong, herbals, etc. My little girl loves her nighttime tea, too. I don’t know if it’s cooked or just dried, but it sure helps me get through my workday without hitting the ol’ standby.

• Have you tried cold brewed coffee? I was introduced to it at a raw/vegan restaurant. It was delicious with creamy vanilla almond milk. It is supposed to be almost 70% less acidic so it is easier on the digestive system. I don’t really drink coffee anymore but when I was trying to break the habit, I used this brewing method. You can make a concentrate that you can add to hot water. Just make sure you use organic beans. Check this out: http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/coldhome/ or google “Toddy coffee”. I have since switched to herbal teas and in between I did macha green tea and untoasted yerba matte lattes. I found that the longer I ate raw foods the less I desired energy from caffeine.