Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

watermelon

I LOVE watermelon! I could eat it every day..(and most days I do). But sometimes when I eat it my stomach hurts it feels like I just downed like 4 wine coolers. I will hurt for like 20 mins then I will be fine. I know people say eat “eat watermelon alone, or leave it alone”.. I’ve tried that. I get the same way with bananas. when I eat them first thing in the morning I have the worst heartburn and then I’m screwed all day because then I get the shakes. I have to eat a banana with almond butter then I’m ok. Bananas I can live with but watermelon is my love! does anyone have any ideas that I might try so I can still enjoy watermelon! Thanks

Comments

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

About watermelon, I live in Michigan and it is hard to find a HUGE organic watermelon, BUT, I want to buy one and eat it all. IT IS GOOD! Never had an organic one though…my mom always buys the ones at the store.

Yes, watermelon must be eaten by themselves. It digests a lot better that way. If you are having problems with watermelon, it might be good for me to point out that watermelon does POWERFUL things to your kidneys. What I read is that if you eat a huge organic watermelon all by yourself, generally, the next morning, you would be peeing out fire.

Hope that helps and if anyone has any suggestions for getting me an organic watermelon, let me know.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

STEAMBOATKATIE – try eating watermelon that’s not too ice cold. and slow down… space it out and eat it over 45 minutes, instead of all at once. That way your stomach won’t be overload by a ton of freezing liquid.

• Thanks for the advice. I will try that Winona.

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

I feel the same way as you do about watermelon steamboatkatie. Last night it was dinner :) my husband and I split a whole midsized organic watermelon from Whole Foods. Incredible flavor!

When I eat watermelon, I always eat it alone, and I make sure I am truly hungry AND have not had any concentrated fats or nuts or seeds for at least 3-4 hours. Even so, as I eat it I get a light cramping feeling in my tummy that passes pretty quickly. Not sure why.

I’ve never had the problem of peeing out fire though shgadwa. I make a meal of watermelon very often also. I’ll say I make MANY MANY trips to the bathroom to pee though, but it is never uncomfortable or burning. We’ve even juiced the rinds and had that. Not as delicious as the actual watermelon itself but refreshing.

Last thing, we always buy our watermelon whole and store them at room temperature due to space in the fridge issues with all our fresh veggies. However I read this article: http://drbenkim.com/watermelon-nutrition.htm and it turns out it is better for you that way.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Hmmm, interesting, because watermelon is one of the most alkaline foods you can eat. AKA YES haha I go to the bathroom every ten minutes when I eat a lot of watermelon, but it’s way worth it. :)

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Katie! I just had to respond because I’ve never heard about someone else that gets heartburn from eating bananas alone, but I do! Like you, I’m fine if I eat bananas with some sort of nut or other fat, but eating them alone makes me sick. Sadly, I don’t really have much insight into this issue, but I just wanted to let you know that you’re not the only one. I’m to the point with my raw eating where I’m mostly eating well-combined foods, but if I eat bananas (which I do pretty rarely), they have to be an exception. I just don’t handle them well alone. Wish I had some magical solution to share….

• I find with all melons they have a laxative effect….if i didn’t have to go when i started eating than i will about 15 minutes later. cantaloupe is the worst for me, i have the least trouble with watermelon.

• eat the watermelon with cinnamon, it will help to digest without fermentation

• suryadayasuryadaya Raw Newbie

steamboatkatie: OHMYGOD I thought I was the only one who had that weird stomach pain for 20 minutes when they ate it. I wake up every morning and blend one of those mini watermelons in the blender and take it to work with me. I have to do it half an hour before I leave because sometimes when I have half a cup first, my stomach will cramp up and I’ll feel sick. I’m pretty sure its the laxative effect but its amazing that it kicks in as soon as it hits my stomach. Its like my body is saying “Oh no! She’s going to drink another liter of watermelon slushy this morning! Everybody get out of the way!!!

Martonmr: I will try the cinnamon and see if that changes anything! Thanks for that information!