Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I'm never drinking cooked juice again!

Now I’m not 100% raw. I hover around 80-85% raw. So I thought it would be no big deal to take the lazy way out and buy a carton of orange juice for once instead of juicing oranges at home. Was I ever wrong! Shortly after drinking it, the inside of my mouth developed about 6 canker sores! It still hurts pretty bad but I’ve learned my lesson. No pasteurized juices for me ever again.

On a side note, I had fresh squeezed oj today and it didn’t even hurt my sores. It was actually soothing.

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Wow, and to think how many years I drank pasteurized juice. Here at my parents’ house they have the frozen cans of concentrate that make me shudder, although it tasted pretty good when I was six!

• Yeah, it really makes you think. I used to get canker sores all the time as a kid, but I thought it was the sodium lauryl sulfate in my toothpaste. I switched to a natural toothpaste and I got fewer canker sores, but I’d hardly call them rare. I’ve been drinking raw juices exclusively for a year now and I haven’t had any, so now I think I know the other culprit.

• Cooked juice? Really? They cook my ‘not from concentrate’ orange juice? Heavy sigh!!! I have been putting off doing my own juicing but perhaps the time has arrived. I did buy a fancy juicer but I think I just want something basic for fresh orange juice. Oooo, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. LOL.

• Yep, pretty much any juice you buy in a store is cooked(pasteurized.) Occasionally, smaller grocery stores fresh squeeze orange juice in the morning and sell it near the deli section. You can also get fresh-squeezed from a juice bar or some cafes/restaurants.

• I just had some fresh sqeezed organic orange juice from one of the growers at farmers market this morning. Wow was it great. Before raw I never drank orange juice but I guess now I love it. At $2.00 for an 8 oz cup I thought it was a steal. I just don’t juice myself because it is just one of those chores that I hate to do so I usually just eat the fruit. Here in California all juice in the store has to be pasturized.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Hate to say it, but I go to the Deli every morning to get cooked broth and an orange juice and drink it all…..no sores in my mouth….wow I would drink raw juice, but I don’t think $400 for a juicer is worth it. I already paid that much for a vita-mix.

My main goal isn’t necessarily to eat raw, but it is to eat a lot of liquids and fresh fruits.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

You can purchase an electric orange juicer for $30. Those things work like a charm!

Or, simply throw the peeled orange in your vitamix, and strain it through a nut milk bag. Juice!

• iknikn

There is no way to compare freshly squeezed OJ to the one you buy at the store. I live couple miles away from Tropicana, and the smell of burnt orange and orange skin is absolutely awfull! Luckily I have a few orange trees and grapefruit trees and with a 20 dollar juicer I am in OJ heaven!

• That’s cool RawKidChef, like I said I don’t eat 100% raw either. I just think the pH of cooked orange juice may be different than fresh and that’s why I reacted.

Before I got my $200 juicer, I did my orange juicing by hand with a $5 citrus juicer. It’s not as quick but you get a nice little forearm workout with it.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

the best part about fresh OJ is that you can water it down and it’s still delicious. i only use 2 oranges each time.

• ikn…You have a few orange and grapefruit trees. (sigh) wow is’nt that wonderful. Perhaps global warming will heat up poor England so we could grow oranges, avocados, pineapples…...........

• awww we have lemon and kumquat trees all fruiting at the moment yay for citrus :) i pick the kumquats and eat them daily

• I’m going to pick up a simple, electric juicer this evening. Ooo, I can’t wait.

You lucky, lucky people who live where oranges grow – I’m quite a bit jealous. They are shipped to Canada but I’m sure they aren’t the same as fresh off the tree.

Thanks Bitt for the advise about watering down the orange juice – that helps the $ stretch a bit.

Peace, Karuna

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Oranges, hmm, not my favorite, but I love fresh orange juice. There’s a vegetarian Chinese restaurant in Rockville, sort of close to me, they sell burgers and fries but also a lot of fancy vegetables and tofu and crap like that…but they have fresh squeezed grapefruit, orange, and carrot juice. As a kid before I went really raw we would go there and get soup and pie, but we were very healthy so my mom didn’t let me eat the crust. The filling was just fruit, we never found out if it was raw because the waiters didn’t speak English.

Anyway, I used to not like raw OJ as a kid, but I’ve really grown to like it and it’s much better than cooked juice.