HONEYWATER - regarding Cacao Pistachio Florentine recipes you posted

WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Just a quick question. Did Russell James give his permission to post his recipes?

I noticed that on his blog it says “All Rights Reserved, Russell James”

Just checking : ) Thanks!

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I am wondering this as well. There has been a lot of hooplah in the past on this site about posting copyrighted recipes from books, websites, etc.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

I thought I’d revive this topic as I’ve noticed Honeywater just posted 3 of Russell’s recipes verbatim and also used his own photos. From what I understand of previous discussions on goneraw regarding copyrighted stuff, this is a no no, especially using his photos and not our own.

Here’s my issue. It doesn’t look like Honeywater has tried these recipes herself. She posted the lasagna recipe which I had made in Dec 07. I found Russell’s lasagna recipe to be extremely salty and heavy. I think anyone here would feel the same way if they made it too. Personally I don’t mind seeing recipes from other raw websites, but I’d prefer them to be tested and made first by our members before posting them.

Raw food is expensive and labor intensive, especially a gourmet recipe like this particular raw lasanga. I don’t want to spend my hard earned money on recipes that haven’t been tested and tried by our members. And I want to see photos of actual results, not Russell’s own photos. I can go to his website (which I have bookmarked) to see his wonderful photos.

There is a woman on goneraw that was posting recipes from the Rawtable but she didn’t post the recipes word-for-word (she was also giving credit to the Rawtable). She also posted her own photos of her results. So I feel confident that the recipes are indeed good and worth a try. I believe this is OK and doesn’t conflict with any copyright laws

Where’s RawJim?? I believe he knows these laws quite well and may share his knowledge on the topic.

PS – I got blasted too when I once posted a pumpkin cheesecake by Matthew Kenney (I had gotten it from a raw Thanksgiving e-book of various chefs). I had made the recipe and thought it was the best thing ever! I don’t believe I copied it word for word as I made a few modifications. I gave credit where credit was due but still RawJim had accused me of stealing :-/

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I am not sure whether or not the posting of the recipie breaks copyright as she clearly states that this is Russells recipie.

My personal feeling is that she just found some recipies she thought looked good and wanted to share them, if you want to know if she has tried them you can always ask in the comments box… Maybe she should have started a thread that said “look at this guys site – he has cool recipies”. I don’t know what russell himself thinks about his recipies being put up in this way, but I for one have now bookmarked his site for further perusal (sp?) so I think for him that is a positive thing, like free advertising in a way.

• I am uncomfortable with his recipes being posted here – credits given or not. I think we should just be pointing people to his website. For those who are interested, it’s http://www.therawchefblog.com.

Peace, Karuna