Dried Seaweed and Soy Milk...

CaptureCapture Raw Newbie

Hi everybody! OK—I’m such a noob you won’t even believe it, but I’m practically clueless about raw “cooking” so hope you all don’t mind answering some questions for me!

OK first,I keep trying to locate wakame and the best I can find is dried pacakages of it at Asian stores. Is this what I should be using? How long should I soak before making it into a salad?

Next, is soy milk considered raw? I feel like I should really know the answer to this…but I don’t…

OK, thanks a bunch :)

Comments

• Hi! Welcome and how exciting that you’re learning to “uncook!” I wish I could help you with the wakame, but I do know that soy milk is not raw, especially if you are buying it in a store. Sadly, unfermented soy is actually not so healthy, anyway- it’s goitrogenic and the phytoestrogens can interfere with your own hormones. Sorry, I don’t have a link, but you can always google it :). A great alternative is nut milk, which is super easy to do. You just soak some raw nuts overnight, pour off the excess water, and blend with fresh water in a nuts:water ratio of about 1 cup:3 cups. There are plenty of recipes here for nut milk, so have a look around! Good luck with everything, I would be curious to know about the wakame as well.

• CaptureCapture Raw Newbie

Thanks LS2F-that’s good info about the soy milk-I really had no idea! I will defintely look for some nut milk recipes and start tying them to see what I like—I pretty much only use “milk” for morning cereal and baking vegan treats so I can probably make an easy switch!