Oven Drying?

CaptureCapture Raw Newbie

Hi everyone! I’m going raw for the entire month of August—I really wanted to get a dehydrator,but can’t swing the extra $$$ right now (plus, I really want one of those super Excalibur 9 shelf units and they are mucho expensive)

Can I use my oven to dry with? My lowest setting is 150 and I know 105 is the highest you should go—but is there a way I can dry/toast oats and stuff, like if I leave the oven door open a bit and put the tray on the highest shelf away from the heat?

Help!

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

In theory you’re oven is beyond the right temp, but there seems to be a bit of disagreement out there over what’s the right temp. I’d say the lower you stay the better. My oven actually allows me to keep the temp below 100°F. Try playing with it and see if you can actually turn it on below the minimum written temp – mine allows that too. Make sure you use a fan, otherwise things get really wet and have trouble drying. I think 150° is far better than the temps being used to actually cook food, so give it a try. Maybe you’ll like raw dehydrated food and decide to get a dehydrater – or maybe not. Maybe the somewhat ajar oven door is enough. Have fun with it – you’re just starting out, right? There are loads of recipes that can be done without too.

• CaptureCapture Raw Newbie

Thanks Carm!

I actually did end up picking up a dehydrator because I found one on clearence for $17! it’s not a good one by any standard and slow as hell..but I think it will get me through a few months at least :) I’ll try playing with my oven though—maybe I can do some raw groats in it :)