Oxalic acid in spinach finally de-mystified!

I went to a raw food lecture and dinner given by a local registered dietitian and it was just great. Most of it I did know but it was very well presented and the food was yummy. I never have had teramisu much less raw and I was awake most of the night but that is another post. Two things I learned from Marsha that I did not know was the oxalic acid in spinach thing. She said that the iron and the calcium was bound up by the oxalic acid but you still got the protein and vitamin benefit. So in practice use spinach mixed with other greens or alternate its use with other greens. Mixing spinach in a smoothie with kale or other greens would not affect the iron or calcium contained in the others because it is already bound up in the spinach. I also learned why heated vegetable oils were so bad and I am committed to never use them. This includes cold pressed olive oils which are heated to filter (you can use Bariani). I am determined to use raw oils to build healthy cells for my future. This lecture and food fest only cost $12 so I am sure that she did not make any money doing this so my hat is off to her. If anyone would like her number for a dietary consult please let me know via my profile.

Comments

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

That sounds like a great evening – very informative too.
    Thanks for sharing! Cheers

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

ROSEHEBREW – Would you share what you learned about why heated vegetable oils are so bad for you? I have purchased Bariani once, but I can almost never find it.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Fascinating. Love it.

So is the registered dietitian raw too?

• I found an oilve oil that is organic, cold pressed and UNfiltered! I believe the name brand is compliments but I will have to double check. It’s also produced in Italy.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I use “Montebello” organic extra virgin olive oil. It says, first cold pressed, temperatures below 98.5.