Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

problem with raw almonds!

I have just finally switched over to using truly raw almonds from spain or italy and am having trouble using them in savoury dishes. all of the almonds that i’ve gotten have had a very strong almond taste, like marzipan, and i can’t seem to cover it up with spices.

anyone have any experiences with this? it’s weird eating marzipan flavoured falafel balls!

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I use sprouted sunflower seeds with coconut oil/butter and /or hemp oil instead of nuts in recipes that call for nuts. I think it is a lovely mix for making things heavy and creamy.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

i agree with zoe – sunflower seeds are perfect for falafel balls. i use almonds only in my almond milk. i say, go with seeds, or other nuts. i never like using almonds in recipes, personal preference. if i’m making a raw pie crust, for example, i use walnuts with dates.

• lalala, you are not imagining that marzipan taste. When I used to get the Valencia almonds from Spain at Trader Joe’s, their flavor was much more intense than the pastuerized almonds we have in the States. I actually prefer that stronger flavor, but definitely wouldn’t use it to make falafels! Sunflower seeds def. sound like the better choice.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Sunflowers much better :)

• thanks everyone! i was using the almonds in both a bread recipe and a allisa cohen falafel recipe that called for them, but i had no clue the taste would be so strong! i will save them for deserts where i don’t mind the taste and almond milk from now on. good that i’ll use less of them, they’re so expensive!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

lalala – they taste really good with cherries!