The Sun is too hot or what?

well, i am having a dillemma. The whole philosophy behind raw food is that you shouldn’t heat anything above about 115 degrees or so. But, where i live (red bluff) it gets really really hot. It has been over a hundred degrees pretty much the entire summer. What i am worried about is i put some honey out to un-crystalize for a couple hours, and when i came back, it was really hot. it was soaking up a ton of the sun’s rays,and was probably about 150 degrees. I am wondering if the enzymes are still dying. i also sun dehydrate fruit and i am wondering if that is fine. i dont get it? its completely natural n stuff! haha

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I ask this question too of dates. Dates usually grow in some pretty hot (meaning over our allowed raw temps) areas – we still eat them though. Are they really still raw?

My personal answer is yes your stuff is still raw – I think artifically heating things to over the raw temps would be the worry.

If you have a food thermometer you could take the temp of the honey and see.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

In one of my books I have read that we don’t dehydrate food in the sun because it could heat the food to a high temperature.Above what we want. I am sure it said more about the subject. I will look for the book tomorrow, as my DH is also commenting about the dehydrators being on so long. Faith

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Yes, to both questions. Plus, I have two going. It is like having the oven on in the summer time, and remember the dehydrator is removing water and that water has to go some place.

My 5 tray is 400 watts the 9 tray is 600. That is 1000 watts and hour. So you figure what you pay an hour and you will know how much the dehydrators will be using in money.

• that makes no sense to me though. i think that is drawing the line too far if the sun naturally heats something to that temperature. i dono what i think on this yet. i still am going to sundry my fruit. haha

• I don’t think you should worry about the sun, it’s natural, free and full of vitamins… Honestly, just enjoy your sun-dried foods without the guilt.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Keep in mind that different enzymes are lost at different temperatures, I think 118 is just a barkpark. So even say lower. But does the FOOD get to the same temperature as the outside temperature? That depends. Ani Phyo mentions using the dessert to dehydrate or dry out soaked nuts. I can’t see what’s wrong with it.