Calcium

Is it necessary/wise to take a calcium supplement being raw? What are some good sources of calcium? I’ve heard something about magnesium being more important than calcium and fruit has a lot of magnesium so maybe I don’t need to worry about calcium? Still curious though!

Comments

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

sesame seeds/tahini, spinach…However, the oxalate content in spinach binds with calcium decreasing its absorption.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Not necessary. In fact, if you were tot ake a supplment, you should be SURE about the source, and it must be raw and organic. Usually they use things like toxic chemicals for vitamins. Calcium comes from oyster shells.

Really, anything green and orange has a lot of calcium in it. So, this is oranges, spinach, carrots, lettuce. The darker the color, the more vitamins. I believe sprouts have lots of vitamins in it as well as proteins and things that are not found so much in just fruits and veggies.

As far as other things, carrot juice has TONS of it. Must be organic. Start juicing, really. Then there is other things, wheat grass juice has every nutrient your body needs to stay ticking. Same with bee pollen. These are complete foods, even has B12 in it.

also, barley, kale, alfalfa, parsley, dandelion

• FeeFee Raw Master

Seseme seeds are full of calcium as is tahini. Greens are also a good source and also brocolli, carob, chickpeas, almond and figs. There is a book called CalciYum which is a vegan book of calcium rich recipes. That is where I got the above from. Im going to have another look at the recipes to find out which I can adapt to raw.

Hope this helps.

• wow, thanks everyone! very helpful :-)

Thanks, Fee, Ive added that book to my library queue :)