Sprout Pic-stravaganza... Please?

I’ve been transitioning to raw for about a month now, and have definitely learned that sprouts are going to be one of the keys to my success.

As I’ve experimented though, I’m realizing half of my challenge is that I don’t know what to expect. Some, like quinoa, are super easy and hard to mess up, others, like mung beans, I kind of new what to expect so it was easier to know if they were heading the right direction.

But as my buckwheat groats and oat groats sit not doing much of anything, I realize I have no clue what successfully sprouted groats look like, which makes it harder to gauge – did I soak them long enough? should they have started to grow tails already? will they sprout tails at all?

Anybody sprouters out there with good camera who can post pictures of various sprouts in their final stages (or even stages along the way)? There are tons of sprouting charts out there (all with different soak/sprout times for each sprout), but I’m having such a hard time finding good visual aids.

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Buckwheat should NOT be sprouted. The leaves are toxic. Just soak them and dry them.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

You can eat the 1/8 tail that comes out of the buckwheat.I dehydrate the sprouted buckwheat. So the tail is shriveled up when done. These are then called Buckwheaties. I soak the oat groats, then let them sprout for 2-3 days. I usually dont see a thing. Just assuming. Grain is sprouted mainly for there enormous nutrition. Which is “in” them. When sprouting accrues, just a tiny bit of a tail is all that is needed. I have learned over 35 years of sprouting. Just to have fun with sprouting, and be thankful there are no weeds to pull in this garden of jars.

• Groats need to be soaked only a short time (an hour) or they won’t sprout. I eat my buckwheat sprouts raw, With just a short tail. I can’t get oat groats or hulled millet to sprout – I think the grain gets too damaged from being hulled. Our rice is heat treated too, and won’t sprout, I wonder if soaking is still beneficial for these grains.

Question: I have rye sprouts which have started to grow grass shoots (I left them a few days too long in the fridge) what can I do with them now? Can I still make bread with them like I was intending?