raw vs. cooked

I bought some shredded purple cabbage the other day even though I never liked steamed cabbage (the smell made me gag!) I tried it and surprise surprise. It was super yummy so good in fact I have eaten it 3 days in a row and Im heading to the store to get some more after work! Isn’t it funny sometimes how different fresh raw is compared to to cooked? Does anyone else eat something raw that you couldn’t stand cooked?

Comments

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

I dunno… a lot of things loose their flavor with cooking, though cooking also makes it soft.

Try this:

Buy 10 lbs of organic raw bananas. Put them in a casserole dish, peel and all, pan and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. Then eat them. I think it would taste bad.

Maybe if it was peeled before the backing now, and you added cinnamon… I dunno.

Anyone like boiled carrot juice?

I thought so.

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

Haha, I’m the same way about cabbage! I never liked it when it was cooked, but now I love it… especially using red cabbage as a wrap. Oooo, and kale too. I especially love raw green beans now. I hated those things when they were cooked.

I have noticed that my garlic tolerance as decreased though. I used to be able to handle so much more garlic, even when it was raw… but now, it just kicks my butt. If a recipe calls for 3 cloves of garlic, I start with one and add more if needed.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

cooked cabbage use to make me sick. Not raw.

shgadwa—-to cook a banana, cut slit skin length wise. Put in baking dsh. pour maple syrup or honey over the banana in the slit ( no cinn.) bake at 375. Many SAD people eat baked bananas in the skin with just a slit so they dont burst. They are really good, but nothing like a good ripe fresh banana!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

It’s funny, I like raw cabbage cut up and in salads, but not juiced cabbage.

I couldn’t stand any kind of mayonnaise cooked or vegan, but I like the raw versions. Same with cheese, hated dairy cheese but like raw cheese.

I always hated plain cooked spinach when i was a kid then I finally discovered raw spinach and love it!

Yes, I forgot spinach…. thanks for mentioning that. Cooked is how people learned to hate it, raw is how they learned to love it.

Anyhow, I have yet to see a tiger, kill an animal….say, a zebra, and cook it over a small (if there is such a thing) forest fire or volcano.

Animals prefer their food raw. It is natural.

Still, anyone in for boiled carrot juice?? Eat it hot.

Maybe it might not be that bad hot. But, the kind you can buy in the store…. do not touch it.