Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

for all those struggling on 811

read a great response from dr.d today on vegsource in which he explains that full mastery over 811 may take between 7 and 10 years

great

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/raw/messages/9996…

Comments

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

lol—that’s where i am. Right now, I am striving for 15% from fat, eating a small amt of pseudograins. I call it my modified 811 LOL.

Adam over on gi2mr has suggestion blended salads as I can’t seem to let go of my flax oil, so I am going to try that. More of a soup, I suppose, which i do love generally. baby steps!

• adam is such a fantastic guy….really calm, clear and very knowledgable…i’m glad you two have got the ball rollin’

• I am aiming to be 811 one day. My biggest struggle….trying to get enough calories!!! I’m too FULL to eat much more than about 1200 cals of pure fruit/veggies. How do you successful 811ers do it? Any tips for bumping up the cals without the fat?

• bananas…bananas…and more bananas…about 100 cals a time…i can manage anywhere between 7-11 without a problem

also i really like fresh squeezed o.j….using sa standard citrus juicer to retain the fibre i can easily knock back 1-1.5 litres of o.j over the course of 45 mins….that’s about 700 calories right there

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

that’s my issue now too claire. I am trying to increase my bananas, right now my max in one day is 6. My caloric intake is way too low, about 1400 a day, and I am running 4-6 miles a day also, training for a 10k then a 1/2 marathon.

I am trying to find a dressing i like—i find i dislike fruity sweet dressings so I am experimenting with lemon/avo/citrus dresssings.

• luckily I LOVE bananas…my work colleagues have even started noticing and saying things like “surely more than two of those a day is not good for you”...as I eat like five in front of them lol

thanks for the tips. I’m realising that the only way I’m going to be able to stick with raw is if I make a real conscious effort to get in the calories. Now is a good chance to get it right as I can’t do cardio due to a calf injury so I don’t need so much food – no wonder I couldn’t stick with raw when I was running and biking like mad on about 1200 cals a day!!!

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

Happened on this and very thankful for this information. I've known about the 811 for many years, listened to tapes, watched lectures and videos, bought the book and have always been intrigued but found it too challenging. Many times after trying, usually giving up and either overeating cooked or getting into too many raw gourmet high fat recipes. So it is good to know that it is eventually attainable and people interested shouldn't just give up on it entirely. I think most people who pursue raw as I do dream of a simple way of eating and a high level of health without having to focus on it or fight off cravings.

• Regardingn 811, should one worry about having too many calories? I can easily pack away fruit and veggies (I could eat 7 bananas in a sitting). Yet I can eat so much that I am worried I am going to put on weight. Is this common?

• currently eating 811.

i start my day off with banana smoothies, sometimes up to 6 bananas in one smoothie. I drink it throughout the day. Really ups my calorie intake.

• oh and to ckersten.

i sometimes feel like that. the scale usually tells me that I am maintaining my weight though, so maybe my body wants one thing and my mind wants the other? I am trying to drop 10lbs of winter fat and it's coming off pretty easily except for when I eat the calories I set for myself. I guess that goes without saying though.

• I am still losing weight on 811 and I can't afford to. So I'm upping my calories every day. Cherimoyas as 230 cal each but they are hard to find.

The thing is, this way of eating is giving me so much energy that I am doing things I haven't done in years, like remodeling the house, and that uses more calories.

But I have no complaints, I'm loving it. I feel like I've gotten off a huge treadmill of worrying about food that started when I was diagnosed with diabetes.

I'm sure that's partly why I have so much energy freed up.

• I started 811 Jan 5. I am having trouble eating enough protein with out getting the fats up too high.. currently only getting 5% protein. Anyone got any suggestions on how much protein one should have and where to get it from with out fat increase? I know I read somewhere that we should get about 40 grams of protein. Every day i keep adding more bananas.. was leary of those since they tend to block me up but that isnt happening anymore.... I have gotten my calories up to 1700 and losing weight which amazed the hubby who is an avid anti-carb guy... he is starting to ask questions so we have an improvement! Thanks :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

kniteangel - eat greens!! they have lots of protein.

• I do I do! I eat about 12 oz a day: 4 in a breakfast smoothie, 4 in a salad for lunch and supper, lots of fruits, bananas, a few dates and one serving of flax crackers. Thank good for smoothies I dont think I could chew much more. I cant seem to get my protein level over 5%. The only thing not raw is my salad dressings. I use a little of Annies Naturals only because I havent come across a raw recipe I like yet. Very little... sparingly.. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for all your help! :)

• Are nuts more of a protein or fat?

Thank you Winona for the greens suggestion, I was just wondering about protein too!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I think you should log your info on nutridiary. i don't understand how you're not meeting your protein requirement. for example, i ate the following, and had 38g protein (but normally i eat the full 1800 calories and get PLENTY of protein, RDA around 45g).

Avocados, raw, California

2 bananas

Green Leaf and Spinach 8 cups

Strawberries, raw

Jicama Fries

Dried tomatoes, oil

Raisins, seedless

Cherries, sweet, raw

Bananas, raw

calories 1200

protein: 38g

• Another question, how much excercise the the "average" (if there is such a word) 811 eater do per day? The book is on the way from amazon so if it something that Dr. D answers I should probably just wait and see . . . but I am so excited by this diet that I can't wait to read it.

• I just looked on nutridiary and nuts, well cashews, are mostly fat rather than protein.

• i'm on my first day of 8.1.1.

it's exciting.

i really want to remain motivated.

how 'bout ya'll?

• YEAH MAN. It's winter and it's cold. The mind really wants me to chill inside, but I must get out and do some cardio!

I read a lot of Raw food nutrition books to keep me focused and intact, when the facts of a raw diet are presented to you, how could you say no?

• I'm learning how to do body weight exercises so I'm getting much more exercise than before 811.

I don't really worry about the protein much because in the book he says that fruits and leafy greens give you enough. I have enough nuts at the end of the day to bring my fat up to 10% of calories, which is usually about 5 macademias or 3 brazils. My protein is usually about 7 or 8%.

I'm going to have my first banana smoothie today for lunch because I've got too many ripe. I don't really like bananas much but I'm learning to.

I use hot water when I make my smoothies and make them thick to eat with a spoon, warm fruit soup, yummy.

• I use fitday.com to log my food and activity diaries. It also calculates the percentages of fats, carbs and protein for your total calories. Right now I average 80- 82% carb, 12- 18% fat and 5% protein. I may be trying to hard to match numbers and overthinking this???