Tahini Issues

So, a lot of recipes call for tahini, and I know a lot of raw foodies use it as a base for a simple salad dressing. I’ve tried two different brands of raw tahini, and I just don’t like the taste. I find it overpoweringly bitter, regardless of what recipe I use it in. Even when I grind up raw sesame seeds to use in a recipe, I have the same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Does anyone have a recipe for making tahini at home that isn’t so bitter? I really wanna make some raw hummus, and I don’t think almond butter is gonna cut it!

Thanks!

Comments

• Hey heyenglish,

to tell you the truth, I think you could get by without using tahini. I used to be addicted to it, eating it by the spoonful but have been a little light in the wallet for the last few months so had to cross it off the shopping list. I am amazed how much I don’t need it anymore. I don’t crave it and quite frankly, I think it’s over rated. By all means, I will have it occasionally when a gourmet recipe calls for it but I prefer oil and vinegar based salad dressings. Maybe try and replace tahini with avocado. I blend all my oils and herbs together with the avo to make a really thick salad dressing and it ROCKS! Don’t force yourself to like it.

Perhaps you should try mixing sprouted chic peas with beetroot or carrot and almonds or even cashews as they seem to cream more. Hmmm, now that I think about it, why not mix the sprouted chic peas with avo as well to get make it somewhat spreadable.

hmm.. Hope this is helpful and not just babbling garbage!.

Zoe.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Heyenglish, do I recall that you are in Georgia? If so what part? I’m in West Central, about 60 miles southwest of Atlanta.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

It is an acquired taste for sure. It blends nicely with lemon and nama shoyu. I love making tahini truffles (1/2 C tahini, 1/4 c, cacao powder, a pinch of sea salt and a generous squeeze of agave or use stevia to sweeten. I just roll the and keep them in the fridge when I want a sweet treat.

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

emtpdmom – Yes, I’m in Georgia too. I’m in Cobb County, which I think is actually considered part of Northeast Atlanta. My geography is terrible though, so I could be talking out of my toosh. I’m lucky that in this area, I have a local Whole Foods and Trader Joes, plus a couple of farmer markets I still need to check out before the end of the season.

izhpt – I might just give that recipe a go. Through a shipping error, I’ve managed to accumulate 3 bags of raw cacao powder, and I have no idea when I’ll get through it all! And I hate to just throw out the tahini I have left in my fridge.

Zoe – thanks for your suggestions! I haven’t gotten into sprouting yet, but I think now would be a great time to play with sprouted chick peas. I love the idea of using avocado instead of tahini! I’m so gonna try that. I’ll hit you up with an email later. :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

i greatly recommend adding lemon or lime, and honey or agave, and a touch of oil. and water. there’s a delish dressing

Heyenglish, I haven’t explored WF yet, but plan to come up soon, probably this Saturday. I visited the WF in Baton Rouge with my cousin a couple of weeks ago. Wow!!! LaGrange has NOTHING to compare. It’s about a 75 minute drive from here, so I plan to come up about once a month. I can hardly wait to get to Atlanta. How far is Trader Joe’s from WF?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

emtpdmom- visit the dekalb farmers market if you go to atlanta! great prices on org. produce.

• me again….So, I’m totally about to corrupt this thread! sorry in advance, but it seems we have an incredible amount of interests in common ( music, design ethical design, gardening and killing plants!). I had a look at your profile to see whether your user name meant that you were from England. I am moving to London on the 3rd Nov. I’ve been in Germany for the last year. I studied graphic design for 4 years before embarking on studying music for the next 4 everything from contemporary jazz and classical! Right now I am familiarizing myself with all the design programs in order to get a job in London. It’s amazing how much you forget aftre not touching the programs for 4 years. 8 hours a day to re teach myself ill, p/shop, Indesign, quark, flash, dreamweaver etc. AHHH! I’m going crazy! anyhow, just thought it might be nice to chat in case you were still in London but I am gathering you are in Atlanta. Anyhow, my email is z.shinnick@gmail.com if you feel compelled to email me!!!!

So… that’s the end of my corruption. Please feel free to discuss the original topic people!!! te he he. :)

z?n, what was the original topic? Oh yeah, tahini. I guess I’m adding to the mix as well, but here goes again. Hope ya’ll don’t mind.

Thanks Winona. I’ll check the Farmer’s Market out. Seems like I went to a Farmer’s Market in Atlanta about 20 years ago. Is this one near the airport? Looks like I’ll be spending a whole day shopping in Atlanta. Is there a good raw restaurant anyone would care to recommend?

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

emtpdmom – I’m not sure which Trader Joe’s is closest to you… that depends on what Whole Foods store you are visiting. I have 3 WF within a 30-minute distance from my house, and 2 Trader Joe’s within 20 minutes. Yay for living in the somewhat health-conscious, stuck-up suburbs! Anyway, my suggestion would be to check out www.traderjoes.com and search for the nearest location based on which WF you plan on visiting.

And, as for restaurant suggestions, I still haven’t tried R Thomas Deluxe Grill but I’ve heard so many wonderful things about it. It’s not strictly raw, but they do have tons of raw options. You can view the menu at http://www.rthomasdeluxegrill.com/menu.htm One of these days I’ll make it out there!