Sprouting Hemp Seeds?

Has anybody ever tried sprouting Hemp Seeds?

I would think they would be OK to sprout but I haven’t tried it before and they are expensive so I don’t want to waste mine.

I am asking mostly because I am planning for a Raw Brunch and I am making bagels and I want to make a few different kinds and I was thinking that Hemp on might be nice.

(Any bagel suggestions would be appreciated!)

I am already making Alissa’s rye ones which I think are pretty good – but I want to make two other kinds for variety.

Comments

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

I may be mistaken, but I don’t think you can buy hemp seeds in the US that are sproutable, because then you could grow plants out of them. I seem to remember reading this, but I don’t recall where….perhaps someone else knows?

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

hey jenny,

The hemp plant (the one that you smoke) is a completely different strain of hemp plant that the one they sell for seeds that people eat so there is no worry about that.

I am able to buy raw hemp seeds online. I just haven’t tried sprouting them before. I am sure if they are raw they would sprout.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Jenny, I think you’re right about the strains, its hemp but not cannibis, which is the one with the phsycho what-not properties. Unless you get them from a cannibis plant you wont get high :-)

I’ve sprouted some with sunflower seeds for a pate.

I had unhulled and it took ages to try to blend it to a pate without loads of bits which was way too hard crunchy for me, and kept getting stuck everywhere in my teeth (dont eat at work without floss! :-) just didnt like the texture & my processor didnt handle it well, ended up using a hand blended which was better.

They sprouted fine but I think next time I’d use hulled to sprout & stick to using the others for hemp milk, which I strain anyway.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I’ve sprouted hemp seeds. They take a few days to six days but it’s worth it. Hemp sprouts get little tails like sunflowers do, but they are smaller obviously. Hemp sprouts make the best milk EVER.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

thanks guys!

My bf said that normally the raw hemp seeds don’t sprout because they crush them in processing cycle because the shells are super hard. He said they probably won’t sprout.

RawKidChef, that is great you got yours to sprout.

I am changing my bagels ingredients so no hemp (I might put a bit in for nutritional value). I am making rye with caraway seeds, millet with onion and quinoa with raisin/cinammon. :)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

RAW KID CHEF Where did you purchase your hemp seeds?