Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Shower Filter

thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

OK – you know how doing research online for products is SO hard. I tried for a while with shower filters, but at the end of the day, with this type of stuff, “you get what you pay for” is not always true. What is the best shower filter that I can buy for a decent price. I just want the chlorine to be removed from my water. I don’t have any specific problems associated with the water, but it doesn’t feel good to me. I wanna change. Anyone with or without experience with shower filters got any advice for me?

Comments

• I would also like to know. The water where I live is heavily chlorinated – terrible stuff. My parents have a $4000 full house system that removes chlorine but I just don’t have that kind of money available at my house (not with the price of organic produce :)).

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I use an AquaSana. I bought one for my son’s family as a gift. I can get in the shower and just let the water run into my eyes and it never burns. My skin feels much softer since using it.

I chose that brand because I found a study somewhere from a consumer group that had it listed as the second best shower filter but the best filter was priced significantly higher and according to the study it didn’t look like there was much difference in how it cleaned the water. I don’t remember the name of the filter that was ranked the highest.

I want to mention another thing I use it for. Whenever I have to wash my fresh produce, I fill this big stainless steel bowl with water from my shower and add a few drops of GSE to kill any possible pathogens. It is difficult for me to use the water I purchase from the store as I store it in one gallon glass containers and it is hard to carry given my back condition. Now that I have the shower filter, I feel that the water is clean enough I will wash my produce in it.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I put a chlorine filter on my shower about 3 months ago. It cost $40.00 including the filter. The filter should last 12 months for an average family. The replacement is $30.00. Since I am a family of 1, I figure it should last me at least 2 years. I can honestly say that I noticed a significant difference in my skin and hair with the first shower. I just spent the month of July traveling to visit family. No one had a chlorine filter. but two of them have swimming pools, and the kids didn’t understand why Grandma wasn’t getting in the pool. I even tried to figure a way to avoid showering while I was there (pretty desperate huh?}. I just didn’t want any more chlorine on or in me.. One of the FIRST things I did when I got back home was take a chlorine free shower. It was heavenly.

Meditating, thank you for the suggestion to use water from the shower to wash produce.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

You can get them at WF’s now but of course they cost more.

I bought mine from here last time because I got an Xmas gift certificate:

http://www.greenhome.com/products/bath/bath_and…

Only 25 Bucks – you can attack your existing showerhead to the bottom – they are really easy to put in.

But before that I got a super cheap one from a guy on Ebay – unfortunatley he doesn’t sell them on there anymore but you can still find some on there. To only remove chlorine you should be able to find a really cheap one and the filter should last from 6 months to a year.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Great tips everyone! Thanks. When I have some spare dough, I’ll be investing in a filter.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i was thinking of getting a shower filter, but then i thought maybe not a good idea because i travel a lot, and so maybe my skin will get adjusted to the ultra-clean water and react badly to water in other places. thoughts?

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Elizabeth – I spent 5 weeks away from my chlorine filter this summer. I showered in Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana and didn’t notice any problems. I tried to not spend any more time under the chlorine water than was necessary. My skin didn’t dry out or anything, and I didn’t use any lotion to keep it soft. Seems to me that any improvement we can make in our environment is worth it.

• jah rawstafarijah rawstafari Raw Newbie

thecavsman – thanks for posting this topic – I have been wanting to buy a shower filter as well- but get overwhelmed by the options and couldn’t find one to work with my existing (antique) hand-held shower head. but…. Thanks to cherie03 _ I just bought the Sprite Shower hose filter! I think it is exactly waht I have been looking for - So THANKS EVERYBODY and my dry, damaged hair thanks you too :)

ClaireT