Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Bad (red) coconut?

I just now opened my first immature coconut. I was so excited, however, the meat is red. When I poured the water into a glass it is red too. It smells good, but I am afraid to drink it because of it’s color. Anyone know what is wrong?

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Rotten. Unfortunately it happens to me too pretty often. Pisses me off to no end! What with the high price and the effort to open them, only to discover they’ve gone off! Don’t eat them if the color isn’t right. You can try tasting a little, but you’ll see it won’t be good.

Better luck next time!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’ve found that about 1 in 5 are bad, or starting to ferment. Always buy a couple if you need em for a recipe, and use em right away. Make sure no brown spots on the outside.

• Well I did happen to purchase two of them when I was in the big city about 1hrs. drive from my house. I just opened the other one. I am totally awed! It is just perfect! I drank half of it just now. I am in quite a reverent mood. It is most certainly an awesome experience! It was a silly you tube lime in the coconut video that linked to a raw video that got me started with raw. Sooo…coconut is my best raw buddy. I have finally gotten one! wooohooo! Makes me want to put some lime in da coconut! LOL!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

It’s aggravating when you go to all the trouble to find one, buy it, open it and then it’s bad! I buy more than I need for that reason. I think I might start returning the bad ones to the store, they aren’t exactly cheap. But they are good…..................

• jah rawstafarijah rawstafari Raw Newbie

pulse – isn’t it funny how we come across guidance in our lives? I’ve followed a few youtube links to information I never would have expected by searching “funny cat” or something, lol.

I just wanted to add that I have never come across a red young coconut, but sometimes I do get ones with a slightly purplish hue – and those are perfectly fine to eat! If I could, I would only drink coconut water instead a regular water. divine.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

OMG, soo totally agree, I found my first ones in chinatown in London last friday, bought 3 and they’ve all gone. I had to resist for them to last this long.

They were £1.50 though, I think that’s nearly $3, so really want to find out if I can buy a crate of a few from somewhere, I have over an hour commute home and the tube was suspended, so a long walk to my station, very heavy after a while (with a durian too)..! I’d love to find a UK supplier (anyone that knows please let me know) but was wondering if anyone knows how long they last if I did.. I dont know how long ago they would have been harvested before I buy them and so dont want to waste any or have a red coconut experience..

I’d love to drink it all the time, feel so gutted when I think about all those fallen coconuts I’ve walked past on various holidays!!

Mine were all cool thank goodness!

• I have returned my rotten cocos to the store I purchased them and they always let me have another. Here, there is only one place to buy, they are organic, no white husk as it has been removed and they are $6.00 a piece. (I can no longer afford them…sadly…:(

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Wow! I thought mine were expensive! I feel for you :-(