Finally found raw nori wrappers

I finally found organic, raw nori wrappers. It would be so great to have one store that carries everything but honestly, I go to at least 3 different stores to do my shopping. Anyway – on with the good news – I have found raw nori wrappers and am excited to make something. Any recommendations? Are there any tricks?

Comments

• I did some research and found that the nori from Main Coast Sea Vegetables is raw. Is this the brand that you found? I am very careful not to put cooked food in my body.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Hi Karuna, one of my favorite nori wraps is simplicity at it’s finest—I use:
    1/4 to 1/2 of ripe avocado (mash it or slice it thinly)
    cucumber sliced julienne style
    diced tomatoes
    slivers of red onion
    maybe a teeny bit of romaine (shredded)
    and a dash of Bragg’s liquid aminos (or sea salt if you want it truly raw).

You just wrap/roll all of those items up in your nori sheet…. dab a little bit of water on the outer edge of the wrap (like you were sealing an envelope) and gently press it together.
    I like to put it in the refrigerator for about 5-10 minutes so that the whole nori gets a little soft – they are initially very dry as you know, but will get softer and chewier from the moisture of the fillings.

Anyway – if you do enough experimenting you can find lots of wonderful fillings… a seed cheese or nut cheese with veggies would also be fabulous.
    Have fun!

• Hi Rosehebrew. The ones I found are from Gold Mine Natural Food Co – out of San Diego CA. I hear you about the cooked food. I’m not there yet but thanks to my dehydrator, young coconuts and all of the support I get from everyone here, I’m on my way. :)

Hi Greenghost. Thanks very much. I have everything that you mentioned so I’m going to experiment tomorrow. So, if the nori sheet is about 8 inches by 9 inches, would that make more than one nori roll with each sheet – or should I roll it up so that it has a couple of layers of nori wrapper? Thanks for the tip about putting it in the fridge for a little while. I’m new to the whole nori business (had my first ones last week if you can believe it).

Peace, Karuna

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Hi Karuna, I just use one nori wrap per whatever I’m rolling up in it. But be careful because it is kind of easy to get carried away with the filling – then it’s too big to seal! :)
    And I wrap it in a little bit of plastic wrap or wax paper (I try not to use too much plastic or paper) before putting it in the fridge – this helps to keep it together while you eat it. Cheers!