Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Craving Chocolate

I have had persistent chocolate cravings for weeks….I know this is probably because I am lacking a mineral or vitamin someplace.

My question: anyone else who has experienced chocolate cravings, were you finally able to pinpoint it to a specific imbalance or need that was being overlooked?

Comments

• While I’m not qualified to speak to any nutritional imbalance that may cause chocolate cravings, I can speak from my own experience. I, too, crave chocolate and find that it varies in intensity depending upon what is going on in my life at that time. During times of particular personal stress I find that it increases dramatically and the chocolate is comforting. I used to really struggle with it and judged myself harshly for my lack of control. That certainly didn’t make things any easier and I learned to love and respect myself and pay greater attention to the reasons behind why I wanted it. And when my cravings have been due to stress – well, I’m glad it’s there. I could certainly have many worse ways to cope!

There are many factors that come into play with food cravings beyond nutrition – emotional and social associations can be factors as well. I have found, though, that with going raw I do crave it less and when I do have it, it is very high quality. Dates and raw cacao are my favourite treat. So, ultimately for me, I’ve been able to pinpoint it to my personal needs that are being overlooked – for time, rest, joy…When those are satisfied, I can enjoy the chocolate because I love it and for it’s nutritional value – not because I NEED it! And here’s another thought – cacao is quite the nutritional superfood. There is a wealth of information on it – Naked Chocolate is a great resource. It’s the processing, sugar and additives that decrease it’s value. So, when you do have it, consider the quality of what you are eating so it can be incorporated as a nutritious part of your diet.

Blessings and best wishes on your quest for balance with the beloved bean!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I am a great chocolate lover. I’ve read that it contains magnesium, something us women need in varying degrees during our monthly cycles, hence the cravings. Plus there’s that pleasurable effect that counteracts any menstrual discomfort. I’ve taken magnesium supplements and haven’t found any difference in my cravings, but honestly I wasn’t taking note. Maybe I’ll pay more attention next time. I’m sure there’s some overlapping cravings going on here, like sweet, texture on the tongue (heaven!), melts in your mouth yum! I’m a firm believer in just a little bit of chocolate everyday keeps the doctor away. Unless you have certain health issues.

• raw cacao does WONDERS! with the right recipes, you can eat as much damn chocolate as you want. until you’re sick of it. and it’s actually good for you. the raw chocolate pudding on here (made with avocado) is AMAZING. and the healthy fats fill you up as well as the cacao satisfying the chocolate craving.

• I would make raw chocolate treats as well, but be mindful of hte caffeine and any other ingredients you are putting into the treats. I like to make truffles with a little agave, vanilla extract, soaked raisins or dates, cacao, and then coat them in hempseeds. Sometimes coconut oil (the real stuff) will help firm up the truffles. But they are not low fat or low calorie, just something to keep in mind.

• Hey thanks for the input :) I always make sure to get the good stuff when I indulge. Lady Raven, thanks for pointing out that the cravings might come from something other than nutritional needs—that’s something very important to be aware of!!

Kedamono—I think I saw that recipe and went “ooooo!” I need to try it! I was wondering if there was something wrong since I want it so frequently, but maybe that is simply my personality!!

• Is there a reason you don’t want to give in to those cravings? There are so many wonderful raw chocolate options out there. Why not eat it?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Chocolate was one of the first things I gave up when starting my quest for eating healthy. The first year raw cacao powder was available, I ate probably a pound of the powder every month! It healed a lot of issues I had related to my periods/hormones, and the negative effects I got from cooked chocolate (even “healthy” dark chocolate with natural sweeteners) never appeared with raw cacao. I eventually wanted it less. The last couple of months, I haven’t craved it much at all, so I hardly ate any. The last few days, though, I’m loving it again! No reason to not eat something that helps you be healthier. :)

FYI: The stimulant in chocolate (cacao) is theobromine, not caffeine.

• ZanzibarrrZanzibarrr Raw Newbie

very interesting Angie :) to know that it did a lot of healing. It is on Zoe’s dead food list, they’re stored and heat up to a high temp if I remember well? She have issues with it ( please correct me if I’m wrong Zoe! I know a lot of people don’t agree with cacao. Do you think it could be the source of the cacao beans, they might be processed differently from one site of production to another. It’s interesting because each time I go for it, I kinda feel both, I feel a huge work on the lower chakras but also I don’t feel so good either, mostly I think I fel the nervous system is affected in a bad way and I have a hangover the next day, like alcohol, and I don’t feel great… any idea? :) :) BTW, there is between 0.2/0.4% caffeine in the cacao bean, and 1.5/3 % theobromine, maybe it’s the caffeine the problem with me?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

It’s weird, for me I don’t CRAVE cacao as I used to with regular chocolate, but I do enjoy it.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

The raw cacoa David Wolfe sells is outstanding.. I blend a lot of that with some softly frozen bananas and it cures any chocolate crave.. I sometimes even mix in a little of wolfe’s raw jungle peanut butter for a nasty reeses peanut cup crave I get.. ummmm!!!!

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Kevyn, thats interesting that its on the dead food list. Am gutted!! Now what??

What about this, this is where I get mine from..

http://www.detoxyourworld.com/acatalog/chocolat…

I thought Shazzie was clued up about where her stuff comes from (as you’ll see on the description) and only stocks things that are raw..

Can there be exceptions to the dead food list (Zoe, Chris..?) She also stocks other things on the dead food list.. What to do?? :-(

• Everyone isn’t the same. Some foods might make others feel as if they consumed something “dead” while others can eat these raw items and still feel great. Do what works for you. :)

• Debbie5125Debbie5125 Raw Newbie

I recall an intense chocolate craving and I asked my nutritionist, she said it could be a lack of zinc and/or protein. Not that I know high zinc foods, but you can look into it. I’m not all raw, so I ate some tofu and felt better.

In addition, another doctor told me that chocolate really does have the same effect as certain recreational drugs and it calms you down (something about chemicals in the brain…I don’t do my homework on this stuff). So, enjoy.

My favorite is raw cacoa, agave, a little crushed salt, and coconut butter…blend and roll into little truffles!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Typically, cravings are due to lack in mineral(s). (I don’t have a reference for this… but what I’ve heard again and again.) Craving chocolate may indicate a craving for manganese/magnesium. I forget which of the two minerals.

It’s magnesium. I use the Sunfood (David Wolfe’s) brand, and I feel wonderful. When I have tried other brands, they were anywhere from not very effective to making me feel awful.

I only crave raw cacao the way I crave broccoli, or figs, or coconuts, or tomatoes…With non-raw chocolate, it is an addiction I have to feed, and the more I eat, the more I have to have. I never have this problem with Sunfood raw cacao. I even tried a brand of cacao I thought might be raw but wasn’t sure about. I felt just as addicted, headachey, etc. as when I used to eat chocolate before eating raw, so I knew it wasn’t raw chocolate. Now, that brand labels their packages better, & I was right; it isn’t raw. Listen to your body.

I have used a magnesium supplement, and it is good, but it doesn’t cover all the bases that raw cacao covers for me, although for people who don’t tolerate cacao well, magnesium may work if it is the main thing missing. It may also be the phytoestrogens (substances in plants that act like estrogen in the body). These are in cacao, but also in broccoli. They are also in other plants, too, but I can’t remember for sure which ones. :P

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I agree with the comments on magnesium. Raw cacao is very high in magnesium and it takes much less to cure cravings, but makes total sence when many people are magnesium deficient why woman want chocolate during PMS.

I have a magnesium drink I use at times, but a few cacao nibs in a smoothie does the trick.

I just bought a package of Fruity Cacoa nibs(elements of Life brand) from a friend and they are good. I think because it is natural form our body is able to use it more efficiently than taking a pill or drink supplement.

• I read somewhere that if you’re craving sweets, it may mean that your body needs calcium. Try sprinkling some raw sesame seeds on your next salad and see if the craving subsides…sesame seeds have a ridiculous amount of calcium. I’ve tried this a couple of times because I have the biggest sweet tooth EVER and it seems to work.

Or just eat something made with raw cacoa. ;)