Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

eczema and falling hair

Another question here. My neighbour has developed eczema and her hair is falling out since her mother was diagnosed with 2 strokes and Alzheimers. She is currently undergoing a lot of stress. The question is:- Are these things stress related and is there any natural thing she can use for the eczema and hair loss? She doesn’t want to use the steroid cream any more, that her doctor gave her. We would appreciate any help.

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Skin problems are often detox through the skin. Allergies or poor diet can bring it about. My excema is gone after being raw. Also the colonic hydrotherapist said colonics can help with skin problems.

• I am no expert nor a doctor but I speak from experience. Eczema and all skin conditions reflect an internal problem. Addressing the skin with creams and pharmaceutical products won’t be solving the issue but merely provide temporary relief. Normally our body eliminates toxins through organs like liver, kidneys, lungs, colon and lymphatic system but when toxins are too many to be handled by those organs the skin kick in as well providing an additional channel of elimination. Thus the best way to avoid skin disorders is to eliminate toxins (detox). I suspect that the hair falling out is as well a form of detox and in my view should be addressed the same way. Stress is a contributor as it hugely conditions our digestive process thus creating toxins during digestion. The best way I know to detox and the ones I have used in the past are: raw vegetarian diet (possibly organic and many juices), daily enemas and/or colon irrigation, hydrotherapy, physical activity (yoga, stretching etc..), living in a healthy environment with fresh air possibly away from pollution. All of these methods of detoxing should be implemented slowly and allow the body to adjust as detox can be a very painful process. If implemented these techniques will initially get your skin condition worse but as your body becomes cleaner all skin eruptions will disappear. Good luck to your friend.

• AziahAziah Raw Newbie

Melaverde is right…eczema is a sign of something malfunctioning on the inside. It isn’t a disease in itself but a symptom. In all of the cases I have seen with eczema, it has all been cause by a food intolerance. For my family gluten, soy, and dairy (mostly gluten though) will exhibit eczema…usually within 3 days of ingestion. For all others I noticed it was either gluten or dairy.

As for hair loss, my Naturopath once told me that hair is the last part of the body to receive nutrients and is an indicator of health (healthy hair=healthy diet). If hair is falling out then that could be an indicator of vitamin deficiencies. This could also be related to the eczema. My oldest daughter had very sparse hair and eczema combined. Once we eliminated the food she was “intolerant” to, her hair started to grow in thicker. Other causes for hair loss can be stress related like allopecia, where hair falls out in huge patches (this can be hereditary).

I am actually going through a period now where my hair is falling out…I have been raw for about 3.5 months now and all of a sudden I am losing hair…enough to make a wig for someone! I bet it is a vitamin deficiency but I have to figure out which one…

• Thank you so much for your advice. I think nutritional deficiencies because of the stress is very possible. I will give her your advice especially about the toxins and food intolerance and hope it helps her..

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

have we got 2 posts here? I replied to the other one.. Sorry!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I agree on the dairy. If it’s in the diet at all, get rid of it. Stress often kicks off an attack of eczema, but dairy sure seems to aggravate it.

Also, I would seriously stop the creams and ointments from the doc. None of this stuff has even been shown to truly help eczema, and it is not healthy. I would dilute shampoos, too. Shampoos and detergent soaps make it worse.

And give the hair and skin time to recover. If you loose hair, it takes up to three months for the new hair to form within the folicle, before you ever see it “pop up”. So it’ll be longer than that before you can see appreciable growth.

I wish someone could give a more scientific answer for this. It get depressing to hear the mystical use of words instead of a real explanation for illness and treatment. “Detox” by itself means nothing without a definition.

Oh, and there are three copies of this post. I’ve done this by accident, too:-) You can delete the others by going into edit, I think.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Oh yeah, I replied to this one too… on the other post

• My sister also has eczema on her hands, she’s missing layers of skin on her fingers, the skin on some parts is reddish and hardened, she can’t bend the fingers ‘cause it hurts like hell, and it awfully itches!

She has eczema since she was kid (she’s 26 now)

She tried gluten free diet and it didn’t help

By the way she doesn’t sweat a lot, actually she doesn’t sweat almost at all, so her skin’s probably not releasing toxins the way it should, so my guess is that nonsweating’s probably one of reasons for her skin problems

2 days ago one of her fingers started smelling, I thought it was gangrene, but it just because of inflamation,

• As someone who gets eczema from time to time, I’d say that a lot of emotional factors can bring it on, which ultimately is related to an internal organ. For me, it’s liver toxins which I’ve been told. Back in March, I had a crazy blow-out with my roommate and within 10 hours, I woke up with my arms covered in eczema so badly that I looked like a burn victim. Ugh, it’s so unpleasant to deal with. Diet is a factor for sure, but aside from cutting things out, it’s amazing what adding coconut oil and fresh coconuts can do for your skin. I’d drink a coconut smoothie daily and I’d see results immediately. Also, Grapefruit Seed Extract mixed with a lil bit of lemon and water helps immensely too. Following a raw diet will help, but doing an anti-candida diet has helped me in the past too.

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

I’ve had to deal with both eczema and falling hair in the past. Well- I still have the eczema actually. I’ve had it for most of my life and have tried every “diet”, herbal supplement, etc. and nothing has helped. For me, I think it is an emotional cleanse of a lot of icky stuff that happened in the past making its way out. Maybe not though. But one thing that helps it is when I put coconut oil on my skin both before and after when I shower. Maybe that can help your friend too?...

And this past winter I was not well and my hair started falling out. I found out I was allergic to both gluten and casein, and that eating those things was causing me to be anemic (my intestines couldn’t absorb food properly). I stopped eating gluten and casein, have been taking Floradix liquid iron supplement, along with a lot of leafy greens, and my hair situation is all straightened out now. So, maybe she should see if she is anemic?...

Hope she feels better soon!!

• Again, I am by no means an expert nor a scientist but I speak solely from experience. Eczema in my opinion is not an illness but a symptom. Our skin is an organ with dual function, it acts as a lung and as a filter (filters out impurities). As such it is only “normal” that from time to time we get some sort of skin trouble, a pimple, a rash, eczema, acne, or whatever else. These “skin conditions” are classified as illnesses by conventional medicine but their origin/cause is the same, internal intoxication (intoxication: poisoning, the physiological state produced by a poison or other toxic substance) caused by many different things such as chemicals, bad digestive process, pesticides, or anything toxic or anything that creates toxins. Conventional medicine classifies illnesses using the symptoms and not the cause, why? because by doing so you create more “diseases” and consequently more pharma products to sell, it is just a business! You will never solve your skin issue if you focus on the skin, or search a treatment for it because it is not a disease. Sure I agree there are things you can do to alleviate the pains, to reduce the redness or the itchiness but it won’t go away unless you detox and if your body is exposed to toxins again it will reappear. PS foods, dry air, stress, detergent, excessive water etc.. are simply triggers and not the root cause.

BTW I have spent a lifetime listening to “experts” and doctors and they never provided any logical explanation, official science got it all wrong when it comes to skin conditions, that’s why they can’t cure it.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Brava! >applause< Brava! melaverde

• Thanks for all your input. My neighbour is into natural things, but is a meateater. There is no way she will eat raw but she will have juices. I will pass all this on to her and God bless you all.

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

When I went raw my eczema got worse. For various reasons, but the trigger was that on raw, I had begun each day with a fruit, and ate many tomatos, even dropping the tomatos didn’t help. I had to drop fruit too. I know it’s bad combining, but I can only eat it with starches or I get worse. Acidity is a big factor in this skin condition. Interestingly, I’ve read that using oats in a bath will help a lot, but I don’t take baths, so I added them to my diet and it helps that way too.