Greenwashing strikes again

So, only one store in my area carries the one and only kind of ecover dishwasher tablets that get my dishes clean. (and i have tried homemade recipes, and every eco-friendly cleaner you can imagine with not so clean results)

Anyway, I was shopping and saw a mainstream brand with the label “NEW ECO – friendly, phosphorus free formula, won’t harm rivers and lakes” I thought, “hmmm, let me take a wiff, this lavender looks like it would be nice”. I then proceeded to recoil with the most repugnant smell of CHLORINE BLEACH! ya, right, ecofriendly. whatever.

I typically try to stick with eating things (whole fruits and veggies) that require me to not dirty very many dishes. But with the smoothies, and other things we eat, not so easy.

Comments

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I saw or read that a true green consumer group went out and tested a bunch of cleaning supplies labeled “green” and found that in each store they went to between 3 – 6% were actually not harmful to the environment. The rest were the same old crap with a little squirt of some plant-based product that they just slapped a new label on. It really sucks.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

What about 7th generation’s products how do they rate that is what I have been using for dishes manual and the dishwasher kind and laundry soap

• as far as i know, 7th gen. is a clean company and i use the hand detergent for dishes; however, 7th gen. and Planet dishwasher detergent sucks for dishwasher. I’m just going to ask some of my local stores to carry the ecover dish tablets. I usually buy 2 or 3 boxes when I get to the one store that carries that line.

meditating – yes, its all chemicals…whats wrong with these corporations? oh ya, they want to make a buck…

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

the 7th gen liquid automatic dishwasher gel does not work well, but the powder detergent does. have you tried looking online? perhaps Amazon has it and free shipping over $25?

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I don’t like the 7th gen powder (or gel) for the dishwasher. I agree the Ecover tablets are great, though the last box I bought no longer said they were vegan, so I returned it. There is also an Ecover powder that works pretty well (seems to be vegan formulation). I’d love to hear others’ success stories with other brands or homemade dishwasher soap recipes . . .

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Here is how to stay away from all dish soap. Boil a large pan of water. Pour over dishes, let cool a bit. Get clean washrag, and cleans dishes. All organic, all green, and all Vegan.

Then take out the dishwasher, put in shelves to put all the new tools for raw. These you will able to by because you did not have to buy soap.

• yes, now we just eat with our hands, like a bunch of animals. When you eat an apple or banana or handful of cherries – no clean up necessary.

ok, i was just kidding – sort of… yes, we hand wash/rinse with plain hot water as much as possible, but we still do use “the machine”....especially when we have large groups and friends over – which is often….

We have had years here and there when we had no dishwasher at all except our hands – so it is def. possible to do it – even with a family our size and company we keep. Great thing with raw and simple eating – less to scour and scrub – just rinse and you’re done!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I agree – I love it that I can safely rinse most things and not have to worry about bacteria that might have gotten on things from the meat, or mayonaise, or whatever. :) I’m wanting to stick to salads lately, just so I’ll only have one dish, a knife, cutting board and fork. We don’t have a dishwasher (I’ve only had one about two years of my whole life). Oh, well, I’m going to make some raw bread now, heehee :)