Sunflower seed pie crust?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Has anyone used sunflower seeds in place of nuts in a pie crust? My son has a fatal nut allergy and I’d like for him to be able to have some of the key lime pie I’m wanting to make. Any nut-free and tasty pie crusts out there?

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Yes, I have quit nuts for about 3 months now. Would you believe it, everything tastes better with out them!! I use sprouted sunflower seeds and buckwheat. You can make a great pie crust with sprouting and then dehydrating buckwheat and sunflower seeds, then mixing it with dates and a pinch of salt, it is perfect.

If you sprout and then dehydrate buckwheat you have made buckwheaties which are very popular. You can use them for loads of things. My favourite is as a crumble/cobbler topping and also tossed with salt, a touch of oil and some dried herbs of your choice, it is delicious snack food.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I’ve used sunflower seeds in combination in a crust, but I’m sure it would work fine. Be sure to soak and dehydrate them. For some reason I have a hard time digesting sunflower seeds unsoaked.