Maybe I'm going raw

steviostevio Raw Newbie

Hi,

Like many others, I am finally fixing my eating habits due to health issues. After a long struggle with other health issues which helped me achieve the lofty weight of over 350 pounds, I finally ended up with high blood pressure (diagnosed last december) and type II diabetes (diagnosed last friday). In January, I started cleaning up my diet, managing to get myself eating mostly whole foods. I lost 40 pounds between january and june 29th, when a very high stress family crisis sent me spiraling back out of control diet wise, and I gained 10 of the pounds back in about a month. Apparently, this month of food abuse was the tipping point for the diabetes, as I did not test positive in may.

While doing some research on-line about dietary issues related to controlling diabetes, I stumbled across info on the green smoothie for the first time this past weekend. This has led me to do a lot of reading, I ordered some of the books recommended on this and other sites, and my blendtec arrived today. The books have not gotten here yet.

Several years ago, I learned that hydration was critical for me. I had allergy symptoms so severe, no prescription or shots would touch them. I gave up soda, and started drinking water, and my symptoms were gone. This made it clear to me that the body really could take care of itself given the right raw materials, but it took another health crisis to get me motivated for this overdue dietary change.

So my plan is to start gradually, and see where the journey takes me. The testimonials from those eating raw are compelling, and I will probably try it as things fall into place. But as a start, I am going to at least be having a minimum of 1 green smoothie daily, and as I evaluate the results of that, the other changes will follow.

Though I am eating cooked meat/fish (I have either a boiled chicken breast or some shrimp as part of my lunch and dinner daily), my lunches already include raw carrots, raw organic pumpkin seeds, and 2 prunes daily. My dinners include steamed mixed veggies, but I think I can replace the cooked veggies with a green smoothie, and another green smoothie to replace my cooked oatmeal breakfast, and I should be primed for trying an all vegan raw diet as soon as I run out of meat in the house (I have about a week and a half worth left). So, I look forward to learning much from this site, it seems like a great place, and I hope I can share some things to help others along as I gain experience.

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

stevio – how courageous you are! I just wanted to post here to let you know that you have my support. Green smoothies were my first introduction too. I wish you all the best and know that you’ll reach your goals. I’ll be thinking of you when I have my green smoothie for breakfast tomorrow. :-)