teflex????

chicorychicory Raw Newbie

what exactly is teflex….. is it plastic? if so, that makes me leery of using it in a dehydrator, especially when it seems like parchment releases the food better in my opinion anyway.

Comments

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

AAAAAAAh!!!! I just read that it’s coated in teflon!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Well! That a great howdy doo. Parchment paper here I come. Anything wrong with it???

• I have read that teflon is not a problem if it is not heated so I am not worried about it.

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

teflon?! seriously? jiminy christmases (I have no idea how to spell that but I sure say it a lot), you’ve got to be kidding me!

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

OMG, I just googled teflex to see about the teflon thing. The funny thing is I always thought that those plastic-y mesh things that come with the Excalibur dehydrator WERE the teflex sheets. I didn’t know they were a whole separate thing that you had to purchase.

No wonder why it’s such a pain in the ass to peal of those flax crackers, lol!

• Well teflon is highly toxic to the people who work with it and to the environment so…..

So strange that they use is in a so called health mashine when there are better and less toxic material to use ???

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Can someone finally clarify this?

Plastic dehydrators are bad, good, bad, good. Then I read what Excalibur wrote about stainless steel dehydrators and how they may not have stainless steel (instead, plated other metals) where it touches your food anyway – or that bad stainless steel may be used. They said that they use the #5 plastic (the non-leaching type) where it touches your food.

I want to hear from some people who know a lot about the safety of the Excalibur’s materials.

• Sorry – a little change in topic here – but I’d like to know how to perform a subject search of the forum. I can’t figure out how?!? I’ve been wanting to buy an Excalibur unit because the dehydrator we have (my husband’s for his deer jerky) is round and heat source is in the bottom and it has no temp controls – but when I saw the unit demoed on a Christian TV internet program, I wondered if the material used in the ‘non-stick’ sheets had teflon in them. I wonder about using a sheet of glass (cut to fit the tray) and coated with olive oil or coconut oil??

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, I’ve pointed this out before. Teflex has teflon. You can use brown parchment paper. I use both.

I get the impression (from what I’ve read by others), that a little “toxin” from plastics or whatever is out there (toxic air, etc) wouldn’t cause as much harm to a healthy body if the body eliminates it. (Don’t take my word for this…). I figure from that… that as long as teflon can be eliminated from the body (same with other toxins) a healthy body can probably efficiently eliminate teflon from your body. That’s assuming your aren’t ingesting too many (other) toxins that causes your body to not perform optimally. (Again, I’m just putting pieces together from my understanding of this… which can be incorrect.) But if teflon accumulates in the body, well… that’s another issue.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

of course, i know my dehydrator is made of plastic. Just don’t like it touching my food directly :).

• Well my problem is ofcourse that it is toxic to us but it is also highy toxic to the enviroment. Where I use to work there was a factory who sprays teflon on somthing (cant remember what). There was several stories of people who worked there with resperatory diseases and cancer. The land where the facory was was highly contaminatet. We should think about the environment too. The footprint of the product we buy and use. An informative article: http://www.townsendletter.com/June2006/healthri…

From what I know teflon builds up in the body. But…. greens like barleygrass, wheatgrass, spirulina and clorella might help the body get writ of it.

I use bakingpaper (or what you call it in english ;-) cut into shape too. One that is environmentaly friendly made and with a minimum of hamfull substances.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Ah yes! How could I forget about the environment.

I don’t think the teflex in a dehydrator gets hot enough to emit the toxins, but it does get “creases” from bending and folding… and I’m guessing some could be release there.

I, too, wondered why they sold teflex sheets! I stick with brown parchment… until something better comes along. I guess that’s the “baking paper” you are referring to.

• I don’t have a dehydrator yet but it’s coming. Do you use the baking paper on top of the teflex or instead of it? (sorry I don’t know much about the dehydrators) thanks!

You would put the paper over the mesh screen, not the Teflex sheet.

Dorispin,,,Go to forums…top upper right.. Click..You will see search, upper right. type in what you want, click search