Do you grow your own..ie flax...

I just want to hear back from people out there who have or are growing thier own raw food. I am sure that several of you, like myself, have a garden. However, how about flax, quinoa, ect? I am growing quinoa, but do not know what to do with it now! I accidently grew flax under my bird feeder and currently have a bowl of flax and husk in front of me…

Comments

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Live near the OR coast. We can grow “Golden” amaranth and “Dave” Quinoa. Need to start plants in the house, one month before planting outside.These two I buy from “Seeds of Change”. They have other brands that I have tried, but these do the best here.

Flax sounds interesting. Are you going to thresh them?

• There are just a few plants under my bird feeder. They are growing among my roses, and I am such a weed nut that I told my husband that all the birseed weeds stay. I have other bird seed growing there, too. I just go out and forage in my yard for fun and education! I also have bird cherry and wild plum, mulberries, raspberries, grapes and the autumn olive is almost ripe. Actually I think the stuff growing in my garden is amaranth. I sprouted some and did not really think it looked much like food. Then it went sour, so I sowed it in my garden. I ate some of the leaves when it was young, and now it is pretty with purple plumes at the top.

Flowering Amaranth is pretty . There are two kinds, the flowering and that for grain.For some odd reason the birds never do bother my grains.

• The birds do not go for my grains either. I wonder if they wait until the seed pod is open. Many times by the time that happens some of the seeds are sprouting. Hmmm… maybe we can learn from the birds!

Do the birds then eat the sprouting grain? This is interesting. Maybe we should have been scientists..lol