so are the raw nuts I buy actually raw?

I get the ones from trader jones that just say “raw mixed nuts” but getting the clue that they might not be, wtf? lol

Comments

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Yeah…I’ve been hearing that “raw” nuts are in fact actually not raw….huh? I don’t get it. Why?

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

In the nut industry, “raw” only means that the nut or seed has not been roasted. But since many types of nuts and seeds are processed with heat for cleaning and/or shelling, they are exposed to high temperatures and are dead. So you can see the word “raw”(untoasted) even though the nut has been cooked by heat for processing.

Just my own feelings on Trader Joes: don’t ever trust those folks.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Man! That sucks. What’s wrong with TJ’s? I love that store…is there something I should know?

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Hi, again, kat! Just be aware that TJ is the type of store to use more than a bit of deceit to sell. I don’t know what your local TJ is like, but I’ve seen mine put up signs calling foods “organic” that are not. For example, if a product labels itself “natural”(which means nothing), they put up a little sign on the shelf calling this food “organic”. They know that often folks don’t understand the meanings. Stuff like that. Misleading. You keep yourself informed and you’ll be fine shopping there:-)