Overwhelmed...:(

I’m just feeling a little sad and tired…. I think about how long I have been eating the SAD and doing horrible things to my body like drinking far too much and smoking….

Not to mention the stuff I thought was ‘good’ for so many years like dyeing my hair (it hasn’t been its natural color since I was about 15) and using all manner of expensive creams and potions that I realise now are full of parabens and other nasties.

I just feel a bit overwhelmed; I feel like SO much work needs to be done to clean all that stuff out. I’m nervous about how it’s going to feel to detox it all!

I keep falling off the wagon too…and eating just a tiny bit of cooked food ‘spazzes out’ my tastebuds and I just can’t help but wolf down more more more of it. I’m never satisfied when I get like that. It takes me about 3 days to get back on track and by then I find I go though detox again when I start to eat raw foods.

So how can I ever clean my system out? I am ashamed of what I’ve done to my poor body over the years. It has worked so very hard for me and I just abused it most of the time, even at times when I thought I was doing good things for myself!

I’m an athlete and I want to have many many good years in me yet. I’m just afraid of the journey…it seems a little dark. I guess I’m afraid of the criticism, mostly ‘cos I am naturally very thin. When I eat raw it defines all of my muscles and makes me very little around the waist, which is natural for me but elicits negative comments from people.

Aslo I am trying to eat organic as much as I can. My boyfriend’s parents separated out and left a newspaper article on the kitchen table where they knew I would find it about how organic farming being better for you is a myth. Just reading the article I could poke giant holes in it(something about how they tested animal’s urine for passed nutrients as evidence that there aren’t any more nutirents in orgainc food, sheesh)....it’s just people’s negative passive aggressive stuff like that that gets to me too. You should feel the weirdo vibes I get when I am dinking my green smoothies on the way to work on the bus!

So yes, I just feel like it’s a bit of an uphill struggle at the mo. I want to have a clean sparkly body and to get rid of all those years of accumulated toxins. I spend most of my wages on organic food and supplementation but there always seems to be one more thing to worry about e.g am I absorbing all (or any??) of my nutrients if my intestines are full of mucoid plaque? It just seems like a whole lot of input and I’m not sure where to really start or how I can maintain it long-term.

I’d love a cosmic cyberspace raw hug or two….or a word of encouragement from anyone who has come out the other side of the initial stages, just to reassure me that the hard slog does pass?

Thankyou for taking the time to read. I’m so grateful to know about this site, you guys are my raw pals and have really helped me stay on track.

appreciation and good energy xoxoxoxoxo

Comments

• PerformingMantis – it’s like you went inside my brain, sifted through my thoughts and very articulately wrote them out for me. It’s nice to know that I’m not alone in some of these thoughts.

There are a few things that I try to focus on to help in maintaining a healthy outlook.

1. You absolutely cannot change the past. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Everything that has happened in the past has made you who you are right now….and that seems like a pretty fantastic person.

2. It sounds like you are investing in an ‘all or nothing’ attitude. (I definitely can relate). “If I’m not 100% raw today then I have failed as a raw vegan and will surely be kicked out of the club if anyone finds out”. The truth is, every raw choice that you make throughout the day is a step closer. Every time you eat raw, you are giving your body some great stuff to work with. If you compare now to an unhealthy time in your past, your positive changes will stand out and the cooked rice and beans that you had 2 days ago will seem inconsequential.

3. Celebrate your accomplishments. It’s so easy to focus on the negative.

4. Move forward from today and take each struggle as it comes. Try not to focus on issues that may or may not happen but rather look at the amazing job you have done so far and how great your last good choice felt.

Good luck. ((((((((( HUGS ))))))))))

Peace, Karuna.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

No use looking at it all at once, or it’s too overwhelming. You’ve done the best you knew how, I’m sure.

((((((((((HUG)))))))))) ((((((((((HUG)))))))))) ((((((((((HUG)))))))))) ((((((((((HUG)))))))))) ((((((((((HUG)))))))))) ((((((((((HUG))))))))))

Love life! I found that cooked starches started my cooked food cravings like nothing else! btw, it’s been three years, and I don’t eat 100% every day, but these days, my non-raw choices are nuts that aren’t “truly raw” or organic vanilla extract, or something. I don’t even want junk as long as I have enough good raw stuff to eat. People will always criticize what they don’t want to embrace; you just have to know what YOU want, and then, who cares?! They get to make THEIR choices.

((((((((((HUG)))))))))) ((((((((((HUG)))))))))) ((((((((((HUG)))))))))) ((((((((((HUG)))))))))) ((((((((((HUG)))))))))) ((((((((((HUG))))))))))

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

I agree with the above advice. Look, it isn’t all at once for everyone. Some transition longer than others, but it is always a process – you are never finish, so don’t go crazy. Just imagine your strength and how you can avoid cooked foods, and you will do it.

And read posts on here when you don’t want to panick. Think about the glass being half full and not empty. I used to worry about health things, even after I was already raw, like mercury fillings, etc etc and then I just stopped and said look, I can’t to everything at once. I still don’t have a blender (use food processor for everything), dehydrator, shower filter, B12 supplements, etc etc etc. I don’t eat nearly enough greens and I have lost “too much” weight that I want back. But you know what, I will tackle all of those things in the near future one week at a time. We are all works in progress. Sometimes if I get a little down about not doing this exactly right or that exactly right, I come on here and read posts because it reminds me that even the people who have been raw for 15 years are works in progress and there are so many others that are doing exactly what I’m doing right now – learning about this or that, looking at product reviews.

Just don’t become fearmongered about the “evil” cooked food. Understand what it is, understand the beauty of raw food, and your body will make the right choices. Maybe every Friday decide that this coming week will be better than the last.

You can do it!

• HUGS!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

hugs to you too ;)

Just take little steps. Everyone yo yo’s a bit, or a lot for the first year or so. You are headed in a good direction and that is the main thing.

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

Super BIG hugs!!!

I definitely get an all-or-nothing attitude whenever I find a new passion, and I totally understand how overwhelming this all is. I feel that way too, sometimes!

Whenever I get kinda down, and start wondering if I’m making the right choice, I’ll think about how great my body feels now compared to when I was eating cooked vegan. I focus on how in 2 months, I’ve managed to increase my 3-mile runs to 5-mile runs without much extra effort. I enjoy knowing my arms are a little less flabby, and the icky skin I’ve had all my life is now, finally, clearing up.

And I also remind myself that life is to be enjoyed! I look at raw foods as this crazy, awesome life adventure. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and I don’t know that I’ll ever be truly 100% raw. But, that fact is bothering me less and less. If I do eat the occasional cooked vegan meal, I just avoid starches and sugar as best I can, and I don’t freak out about it. There’s no reason to. :o)

We’re all in this together!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I’ve gotten overwhelmed, burnt out and down about trying to do it all at once but each day I try my best to do all raw and if I slip up and have cooked food I try not to beat myself up but see each day as a new start.

Now instead of eating an entire cooked meal when I slip it’s a bite here and there. Eventually I hope to not even want that. We’re all here together to support eachother and I’ve gotten so much amazing support and advice that instead of going to food when I’m craving something I go on here and get ideas of how to fulfill my craving with something raw