ok, orgaic seedless or not organic seeded watermelon?

So I know the seedles isn’t supposed to be as good as seeded… and organic is better than not organic… but I can either get seeded not organic or seeless organic..

which do I chose?

Comments

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

This has been hanging here for a couple days without a knowledgeable reply, so I’ll put forth a personal hypothesis based on insufficient research and internet based “facts.”

I go with the seeded. It is less genetically altered, and it tastes better. The folks over at blindguru.com have a theory about better tasting produce tastes better because it was allowed to ripen properly, and thus has higher nutrient content. They test food using Brix meters, and have found non-organic oranges with better readings than organic ones (this was just one example).

I have no idea about the soundness of the theory, nor about Brix readings (which measures sugar content I believe) as a measure of nutrient content, but it does make sense to me that better tasting fruit is probably a healthier piece of fruit, and seeded watermelon has way more flavor than seedless in my experience.

• thank you for your answer! I appreciate even a theoretical opinion based one definitely! I ended up buying the seeded, but its been plaguing me. Well, that and why can’t I find an organic seeded one? =)

Anyway, much appreciated!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I’m in L.A. and it’s hard to find seeded watermelon even in the farmers markets, since people overwhelmingly prefer seedless. I like seeded, but I’m trying to make sure all our fresh produce is at least “no spray” just to support the growers who are trying to do the right thing.

So just to confuse matters, I think I’d go with organic seedless. Stevio makes excellent points, though. Hard to make a wrong choice!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

It is my understanding that the seedless watermelons are very hybridized. Hybridized plants are genetically weaker and cannot produce true offspring. My guess is a plant that was intentionally tooled to be less able to reproduce (seedless) would be inferior to one that was left in its natural state.

Given an option, I would go for conventional seeded over organic seedless. While I am unsure of the degree pesticides are used on watermelons, my best guess is that the rind affords some protection for the fruit. Artificial fertilizers cause a deficit in nutrition. Any artificial acceleration of the plant’s growth necessarily halts the production of vitamins and anti-oxidants, leaving the plant nutritionally depleted.