I made a real commitment today to the raw lifestyle

steviostevio Raw Newbie

I am in the process of buying a new home. The house is new construction, and so I get to decide on a lot of details during the building process. Today we did kitchen design, and though I am leaving an outlet and a break in the counters for a stove, I will not actually get a stove in my new house, nor a microwave. I need to leave a place for the stove for re-sale purposes, and in that spot, I am building a custom cabinet with a butcherblock top and a built in 20 amp blendtec. Beneath the top will be shelves that will be capable of holding a dehydrator should I ever go that route, though I suspect I am unlikely to.

I am probably going to get a single burner countertop induction cooktop in case I need to boil some water or heat something for guests, but it will mostly just sit in a cabinet unused. Maybe a toaster oven as well for purposes of appeasing my guests, but again kept out of the kitchen in storage.

I am so excited by the idea of a kitchen without a stove or microwave. All of that stuff is just more clutter and the cookware takes up too much space as well.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Oh YOU lucky person!!! I am green ( more ways than one ) heeheehee

I use my store as a counter top with my coffee grinder and blender sitting on a dishwasher slide-in-front, you know the way you change the color of your dishwasher… That thin sheet makes a wonderful protection to my glass top range… The oven is where I store my cookware I no longer use, which frees up a cabinet for all my raw goodies… Flax seed, almonds, sunflowerseed, nutritional yeast, blue/green algae all waiting in jars…

Don’t forget to use as many GREEN ideas throughout your new home… ( paint, floor coverings, window placement, recycling rain and clean waters, YOU get the idea!!! )

So happy for your good fortune!!!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Great for you! :) Enjoy it. I live with my parents again now, and I always put all kinds of stuff on the stove (using it as extra counter space) like I did in my apartment, and then my mom comes along and tells me that the stovetop is a bad place to put plastic salad containers or bags…heehee – to me, it’s not a bad place because I don’t plan to have the stove on ;)

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

As far as being green is concerned with this house, it is being built in a new ‘green’ subdivision with energy efficient designs, and geothermal heat pumps for heating and cooling for all 20 houses going up. It is not truly green design, it doesn’t take advantage of many available green building concepts readily available, but as this is my first house, I am excited about it being more green than anything else in my price range. I did get to pick the window placement and orientation of the house on the lot, so I was very thoughtful about that (and my house is the only one not parallel to the street, but the rotation is still aesthetically pleasing). Also, the back of the lot, and the protected land adjacent to my lot are covered with wild blueberries! :-)

If I could only convince the entire subdivision to go in on a windmill for generating electricity …

angie, my stove is cluttered not only with the plastic stuff you mention, but with paper products as well. It really could be a fire waiting to happen if I ever turned the stove on. Even when I was eating cooked meat, I would grill it rather than use the stove anyway.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Stevio~ Now you are killing me, wild blueberries and grothermal heating!!! In which state are you lucky enough to be living???

Wow I hope you can convince the others to get that windmill…

The company I work for is 2.4 miles from my house, and they are doing the study to see if a windmill would be feasible in that location. If so, I think they will be buying one to off set our corporate carbon footprint. So if feasible, I will certainly put the idea forth to our new community over the next year or so as people move in. They are pretty pricey though, bout our subdivision includes about 10 acres of land that is held jointly by all 20 home owners, and some of it is remote enough for a windmill without being in anyones yard, and hopefully some community gardens as well.

I am in NH, Dover to be specific. It is on the seacoast right outside Portsmouth. A charming little community.

Here is a local newspaper article about the development: click here

They sold 14 of the 20 houses within the first 3 months of the planning (I was #14) and we are in a very depressed real estate market here right now. It does show that people are willing to pay for alternative energy solutions and get rid of oil dependency. I hope to see more developers doing this sort of thing.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Stevio, just a suggestion here. When I started using my stove as countertop space, I tripped the breaker so there wouldn’t be a chance of a mishap (fire).

Congratulations on your new home. I’ve inherited a 60’s home and plan to do some retrofitting to be more “green.” I’ll have to be selective, as retrofitting can get pricey. I love the house, but almost wish I had the luxury of a fresh start. I’ll be watching for more posts detailing your progress.

Great suggestion about the stove breaker. I think I’ll go trip it right now.