Fell off the wagon - badly

Hi Friends

I have fallen off the wagon badly for the past week and am struggling to get back on track.

Please share your words of encouragement. I really need them.

Peace, Karuna.

Comments

• browniesbrownies Raw Newbie

Aww, don’t worry. Tomorrow is a new day. A little slip up every now and then doesn’t hurt in the long run, it just helps us remember why we are doing it in the first place.

• Hi Karuna…

Talk more about what it feels to “fall off the wagon”.... I could use some encouragement and compassion as well I am underweight, and obsessed with the idea I should be adhering to the strict 80/10/10 guidelines. I wonder, sometimes, about how healthy I truly am.

• Hi Karuna,

Nothing is wrong here- you aren’t bad. Guilting yourself feeds the negative cycle and will suck the life out of you, yes? Get yourself prepared for success! Prepare a bunch of tempting foods, get a pile of beautiful fruits and veggies, and visualize your goal! brownies is right, every day is new, life will never be perfect, so don’t be hard on yourself, and remember why you are doing this beautiful thing for yourself- love. I look forward to your post in 5 days saying how much your energy and self-esteem have soared since you overcame this most common and treacherous obstacle between you and your truest self!

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

The whole raw experience is certainly a marathon, not a sprint. Each day is part of the journey, as is each week, month, etc. Don’t get too caught up on getting it all right at once. Remember, we spent LOTS of years eating one way, it’ going to take time to go another direction entirely. Focus on what you are doing right! When I struggle for higher raw percentage (which is constantly, I still eat some cooked food pretty regurly) I remember that at least I am now a strict vegan ( I was a dairy addict so that’s huge) and I no longer drink coffee and drink very little caffiene (another huge addiction ) I also eat way more fruits and vegetables than ever before.. the point being you are doing more that is good than the total of your slip ups.. press on! Also, listen to your body, your body may be going through cycles of wanting the cooked food and then they may pass.. our bodies are wise!

• Hi Karuna

Making a big deal out of falling off the bandwagon and coming down on yourself actually causes more problems than the event itself. Forget it and remember how it felt when you did slide off the track. You will be stronger then, and your direction will be most definitely UP! :-) Like the other comments posted here – it’s not uncommon to slip up (if that’s what you like to call it). Remember not to take this all too seriously or you’ll lose the joy and freedom of eating. Eating raw is not army camp and you won’t be prosecuted for eating cooked foods now and then. The main thing is to do as best as you can and in guidance by your body. If you’re ready, great, if it doesn’t feel right, take it easy and work your way gradually. I suppose you also have to look at why you did slip up, and see if it was actually out of craving for cooked food or an emotional eating trigger, stress, social situations etc. Inquire within about what you want, why you want to be a raw food vegan, how you see it changing your life and why you don’t want to eat cooked and processed foods anymore. That should help each time a situation arises where you have the old temptations arise and you will probably find that you naturally only want to eat raw.

All the best, Fiona

• Thanks everyone…that really helps.

I got swept away on the carbs and dairy merri-go-round. It started with a PMSey type of day which happens on occasion and just continued from there. I have also been stuck inside quite a bit over the past couple of weeks. This doesn’t help with the overall ‘healthy’ feeling. I got out for a while yesterday and cut the grass. It was beautiful and hot here – nice. I have a desk job and have found myself struggling to stay active. I have a week of holidays next week which I plan to use as a spring-board back into an exercise routine.

I am going to load up on lots of water and fresh F&V today. I am also going to take a drive to the store and get myself stocked for the week.

Thanks again – I knew I could count on you guys. Peace, Karuna

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi Karuna,

First of all a big cyber Hug! I can relate to what you are feeling completely. Being on school holidays (I teach) I thought I would have no trouble sticking to being raw. Well this week has been a complete disaster with a cooked meal somewhere everyday!! It happens to lots of people and we have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off – but not start all over again. The fact that we are trying to eat raw and healthy mans we care for our bodies and I think sometimes it can be better mentally to “give in” and have something cooked than to force ourselves to remain raw. I sometimes find that if I refuse myself one little cooked thing I can end up with a full blown cooked binge instead! I don’t have the answer, and anyway I think the answeris deffeerent for different people and at different times of their lives. The main thing is as other people have said – don’t beat yourself up about it.

Anyway I hope this week goes much better for all of us.

Fiona

• Thanks Fee – I’m already feeling stronger and have started today well. I’m going out to the organic grocery store now to stock up for the week. Also, a quick stop at Walmart for bits and pieces.

Deep breaths and positive energy meditation :) Peace, Karuna